Passport application stuck in limbo

kellyj

Put through a normal postal application to renew my daughter's passport back on March 9th, just before the IR dispute at the Passport Office escalated. Application was registered immediately - my credit card was deducted pretty much the day after I posted the letter!
Didn't expect much progress on the application throughout March. Have recently begun to check the status on a daily basis - it continues to sit on a 'registered' status. Tried this week ringing them a couple times. Get the message 'Due to extreme congestion. Please try again later' voice mail. Sent them an email via the passport.ie site but again no response.
I am under no immediate panic. Heading to France in July is the priority though we may travel to the UK next month, which may mean having to go Aer Lingus to avoid a passport check (assuming here of course that it is not an urban myth that AL don't check).
In the event I continue to get no from our friends in the Passport Office is there any process available to escalate the matter? Is it worth for example calling to one of their offices to put the pressure on?

though we may travel to the UK next month, which may mean having to go Aer Lingus to avoid a passport check (assuming here of course that it is not an urban myth that AL don't check).
With AL going to UK it is not that they don't do an identity check, it's that they accept other photo forms of id, eg driving licence. Would your daughter have a photo ID? They would need to see something.

Cheers David - had a quick look at that link. Some good pointers there. Will take a more detailed look when I'm back at home.

Fizzelina - thanks for your clarification on AL. Don't have any other photo ID for my daughter so would still have a problem on the UK travel front.

Just wondered if OP used Passport Express service, or normal post?

My application via P/Express was registered 31 March, and the status remains the same today, Not too concerned as a lot of Bank Holidays etc. over Easter + the go slow. The website says it is taking 15 to 20 working days for P/Express apps which if true, is not too bad really.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334

Just wondered if OP used Passport Express service, or normal post?

My application via P/Express was registered 31 March, and the status remains the same today, Not too concerned as a lot of Bank Holidays etc. over Easter + the go slow. The website says it is taking 15 to 20 working days for P/Express apps which if true, is not too bad really.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334

I was wondering that myself as my application via Passport Express was sent on March 11th and I received it in the post last Friday which is obviously more than the 10 days promised during the good days but quite good and much appreciated given the recent difficulties.

Mrs Boaber is on (working) day 14 now and the application is still at "has been registered" status. She used postal express. Is she now entitled to get the €8.50 she paid for this service back?

Hi, used postal express on 21 March. Registered 26 March. Just checked website, new passport for daughter and I posted today. Should have them by end of week I would expect. Just a little over 3 weeks.

@boaber, the website says 15 to 20 working days for passport express. So your OH has a bit of a way to go before looking for a refund! Doubt if she'd get one, as no matter what, the P/express will be way faster than the snail mail anyhow.

I'd allow 30 working days before I needed blood pressure tablets myself!

Hi, used postal express on 21 March. Registered 26 March. Just checked website, new passport for daughter and I posted today. Should have them by end of week I would expect. Just a little over 3 weeks.

that's comforting, mine registered 25/3 and no progress since

@boaber, the website says 15 to 20 working days for passport express. So your OH has a bit of a way to go before looking for a refund! Doubt if she'd get one, as no matter what, the P/express will be way faster than the snail mail anyhow.

I'd allow 30 working days before I needed blood pressure tablets myself!

Was just wondering, because the An Post website guarantees a 10 day turnaround using p/express.

But....just looked at the receipt and it says "Due to ongoing industrial action in the Passport Office, it is no longer possible to provide any guarantee regarding the turnaround time for the Passport Express service"

Ah well.

Back