Passport application delays

Susie2017

I applied using passport express for two children's passports on 27th April. Just checked online and the estimate date is 18th June which is very close to my travel date. Any suggestions ? Is it worth calling them or dropping in ?

I had a similar experience very recently, I applied on March 26th and estimated date was April 30th. After that date it started to move and once it went to May 9th as the estimated date then I tried to contact them as our travel date was May 30th.

Contacting them was difficult; for about 5-7 consecutive days I tried to call them but each time it said they were too busy, you could not even wait in a queue. I tried web chat and that was the same. In the end I think I found some link via boards.ie and this did place me in a queue, when I got to chat to someone it was not that productive in that they said you should not book a travel date until you receive your passport, etc.

I tried to ask if there was any process to escalate this as it was 35 working days since I applied. In the end he said he would add a note and he hoped we would get it before the 30th but it was not exactly a plan. In the end we did get them late last week so all was ok. This does not really help you but I suppose it shows that this might be the norm re waiting times. Just keep trying is all I can suggest.

I applied for 2 passports for my kids on 1st May & checked status last night. Estimated date given was 24th May. Strange how mine went after you but (supposedly!) I will have them nearly a month before you.

Mine was for our 3 kids but for one of them it was a first time passport which I believe takes longer so that might be the difference, purely a guess though. Also our estimated date was April 30th initially and we received them on May 16th, the estimated date moved as time moved:)

Hi all. Yes they are both first applications. But I paid for passport express with them. The expected date of issue is 18th June. Could this end up being even longer. Worried as we are flying end of June. Thought I would have them by now.

Similar situation. First time application. Estimated issue date was 4 days before flights. I called into the passport office with a copy of our flight details and passport express tracker number. They put a note on my file and I collected them 3 days later.

Mine was for renewals so that might explain the quicker turnaround. Then again I don't have them yet.

Passport Express only means An Post guarantees the application will arrive the following date, likewise when issued that you receive them the next day. It has no bearing on how fast the passport application is processed.

I would contact them and ask if a note can be added that your travel date is x, I did that and received them shortly after, cannot say for certain if that was the reason.

Plan B was to go/get someone to go to the passport office in Dublin and stay there for the day if required assuming it was less than a week to our travel date.

Ok. Many thanks for all feedback. The turnaround time for first time applications is currently 34 days. If they issue it on 18th then i should be ok. Problem is if turnaround time increases in the meantime then it gets a little too close for comfort. I logged on to webchat at 9 am there were 40 people in the queue. Now its not accessible at all. So I have emailed them to see what to do. They say not to make an appt as there is already an application in the system.

I'm still waiting on these passports. Due to issue on Monday next according to tracking but listening to Joe Duffy podcast from this week has me worried. Apparently these estimated dates are not accurate and can come and go without any passport being issued. The turnaround time has now increased to 38 days from 34 days but my date of issue is still the same. Will this new turnaround time affect me I wonder ? I'm up the wall..oh and postage could take longer....

Hi Susie - I'm in the same position as you. Issue date is 19th June and we're travelling 25th. I emailed them earlier in the week and they replied to say they notified the issuing office with my travel date. I'm optimistic I will get them next week!
The thing that worries me is if there is a problem with the application, how will that affect the date?

Hi all,
Online is the way to go from now on. My daughter (young adult) applied for renewal of passport last Thursday and received it in the post today Tuesday very fast service.
Note: not available for child renewal or first time applicants

Regards,

My passport will expire early next year. Has anyone applied to have their passport renewed in recent times? How long does it take to be processed etc?

My passport will expire early next year. Has anyone applied to have their passport renewed in recent times? How long does it take to be processed etc?

Applied for mine online Tuesday, got it back in the post today, Thursday. Wonderful

I see that the Passport Office is not operating during Level 5 lockdown. I am trying to imagine the backlog of applications, when restrictions are lifted. I can then hear Simon Coveney making excuses....."we will be beefing up the staff numbers to deal with the backlog" etc etc.

Just because we cannot travel at this point in time does not mean that we should not be able to renew our passports. I would have thought that this was essential work?

Back