Passport application delays

Does anyone know if child renewals are taking any longer than adult renewals ATM?

Will send in a renewal for my daughter today, expiry of existing passport is not until 10 July so I should be on safe side.
They’re treated as a “complex” application by the Passport Office. Don’t know why, but perhaps to do with the fact that the application involves a child and they have to be sure the tees are crossed etc so it’s understandable I guess. That said, if it’s a renewal, you would have thought that it shouldn’t be too complicated given that the child had previously been issued with a passport. I dunno.

They’re treated as a “complex” application by the Passport Office. Don’t know why, but perhaps to do with the fact that the application involves a child and they have to be sure the tees are crossed etc so it’s understandable I guess. That said, if it’s a renewal, you would have thought that it shouldn’t be too complicated given that the child had previously been issued with a passport. I dunno.
I'm presuming they're treated as complex because of the additional paperwork for the guardian/parent approval form.

Applied for child renewals myself recently. The first part of the application is online but then you need to print out the guardian/parent consent form and still bring to garda Station for signing. After I posted back these signed forms, it took about a week until the online tracker said they were received. From that date, the online tracker is telling me it will be another 3 weeks. 7 June. I hope it is accurate as going on hols soon after !!
No you don’t need to go to a Garda station for a child renewal. But you do need the parents signatures to be witnessed by someone you know from a list of professions. A friend who is a teacher witnessed my signature. Our GP witnessed my husbands signature while he was there for an appointment anyway. The passport arrived as expected about 3 weeks after we posted in the consent form.

I'm presuming they're treated as complex because of the additional paperwork for the guardian/parent approval form.
Yes, and to be absolutely certain that a separated parent isn't trying to obtain a passport so as to disappear that child from the country.

Another thing I've heard a lot of people get wrong on first time child applications is ensuring that the witness provide a work telephone number that they can be contactable on. Mobiles and home phone numbers are not accepted, the instructions are clear on that, but many people don't read tham.

Or its just "complex" because it has to be done manually by a person rather than automatically by their software system?

That might also explain why any glitch thrown by the automatic renewal software is thrown to the back of the queue and then not dealt with in a timely fashion

No you don’t need to go to a Garda station for a child renewal. But you do need the parents signatures to be witnessed by someone you know from a list of professions. A friend who is a teacher witnessed my signature. Our GP witnessed my husbands signature while he was there for an appointment anyway. The passport arrived as expected about 3 weeks after we posted in the consent form.
Correct, it doesn't need to be a Garda. A teacher, GP, pharmacist, accountant etc etc are all options. But if they are not easily available to you, then the Garda Station works.

There will be an explosion of people wanting to travel abroad, for lots of reasons. (My own passport expires next month.) I would have thought that our Government would realise this, and use some common sense. Unfortunately, like most things that they do, there will be a last minute reactive response to this.
Looks like you anticipated the likely massive backlog as a result of the government's ridiculous policy last year of stalling passport renewal to prevent people leaving the country, the chickens are now coming home to roost for the shambolic passport office and the DFA

government's ridiculous policy last year of stalling passport renewal to prevent people leaving the country,
That's nonsense.

Two things happened - (1) Covid precautions for civil servants reduced on-site capacity for renewals particularly for first-time applications where a lot of manual scrutiny is needed; (2) a lot of people didn't travel for two years and let their passport expire, so on the demand side there is a huge increase.

Reactions: Leo
My work telephone number is a mobile number:p Would be the same for lots of witnesses.
Just out of interest, but do you witness many child applications? The online guide says that mobile numbers are not acceptable, and I know a family member who had an application delayed a while back because the witness ended up being out of the office on leave when the call came, they had to resubmit with an alternative witness.

That's nonsense.

Two things happened - (1) Covid precautions for civil servants reduced on-site capacity for renewals particularly for first-time applications where a lot of manual scrutiny is needed; (2) a lot of people didn't travel for two years and let their passport expire, so on the demand side there is a huge increase.
Yep, pre-pandemic volume ran up to about 400k per annum, so far this year they've issued more than 500k.

Yep, pre-pandemic volume ran up to about 400k per annum, so far this year they've issued more than 500k.

So they've already issued 25% more in the first 4½ months of this year? That's a pretty impressive performance, whatever their critics may say!

So they've already issued 25% more in the first 4½ months of this year? That's a pretty impressive performance, whatever their critics may say!
Yep, and at a time when many industries are struggling to hire staff.

The online guide says that mobile numbers are not acceptable
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. The form itself just says "work number" and I got the colleague who witnessed to put down his work landline that diverts to his mobile.

Otherwise it seems increasingly out of date as a criterion. I know a lot of people now who never get random inbound work calls.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. The form itself just says "work number" and I got the colleague who witnessed to put down his work landline that diverts to his mobile.

Otherwise it seems increasingly out of date as a criterion. I know a lot of people now who never get random inbound work calls.
I'd imagine it's designed to make it a little more difficult to have a friend pretend to be an appropriate witness. most roles are professionals they would expect to be working somewhere with landline access. We wnet with Garda witness to minimise the chances of issues.

I'd imagine it's designed to make it a little more difficult to have a friend pretend to be an appropriate witness.
I agree.

An older version of the form obliged an official stamp which I thought was a pretty good anti-abuse measure, but that field seems gone now.

FWIW 4 weeks start to finish for a complex/child renewal of an expired passport so no complaints here!

Delays are delays, even if they are caused by the customer. For the Passport Office to say that a backlog doesn’t exist is disingenuous.

A waiting list of 200k who are experiencing delays is significant. A good process factors in the percentage of applicants projected to make errors in their application and will seek to assist the customer to minimise the errors as part of the process.

Instead, it seems that the passport office are speedily processing applications with no errors, but once an application is received with an error identified, it’s thrown into the bottom of the pile.

It would be more genuine for the Passport Office to admit there is a backlog, but that it is as a result of customer errors. Rather than just state baldly that there is no backlog. Once your application contains an error, you’re at the mercy of a very poor and inefficient process.

Last edited:
Back