Passage West, Cork

Befuddled

We're moving to Cork soon and thinking of buying a family home in Passage West. Money seems to go a lot further there and we're wondering is there a (negative) reason for that. We have 2 young children so wondering what the area is like for young families, schools, childcare, sports, etc.
It seems like a quiet place. Not sure if it will be too quiet, but we've seen a house we love and nothing else in our budget comes close.

I don't live there and have never lived there so keep that in mind for comments which follow.

My perception is that if you live here and commute to the city traffic may be a pain if using at peak times given the roads serving the areas aren't the best and serve a lot of the commuter areas heading the same way.

The town part of passage west always appears to me to be a little run down but I understand some of the nearby residential areas are quite nice e.g. harbour heights.

The area is also served by a regular car ferry to cobh which is handy for trips to Fota. The nearby village of Monkstown is quite nice for a walk also.

Best to get perspectives from those who live there or have done. Hopefully some of such folk will be along shortly.

BourbonWithIce, no, it's not Ard Chuain. We're looking more towards Ardmore.
I agree, the town does look a bit run down, so hoping to hear from people who live there...

Thanks

I would avoid Passage.....The single road to Douglas - the commuting road features on AA roadwatch almost daily. It is very run down.
The backup occurs as far as rochestown inn. What is your budget.

Back