partnership agreement

rupert7

• i am buying a business for €1.5m of which the bank is looking for €500,000 up front.
i have an investor who is putting up the €500,000

he will be silent for the most part but i will benefit (slightly) from his buying power as well has his advice and experience ( he has 4 shop in the same industry)

we are meeting an accountancy firm to decide the details of the partnership and discuss the different options.

what are the most common types of partnership in this type of situation?

i would perfer to but him out over 10 year period or so.

what would a good ROI be for €500,000 over 10 years ( solid industry, not much risk)

im looking to have a better idea of the different options before i meet the accountancy team.

thanks in advance

If there is property involved then the property could be owned by the partners as Tenants-In-Common. An operating company could be formed to operate the business and rent the property from the partnership.

You should have a property ownership agreement and a shareholders agreement which specifies that either of you could buy each other at market value at some time in the future.

I would have thought that the investor would be seeking a minimum return of 15% per year over 10 years. You need to agree with him how does he achieve this: salary v/s dividends v/s sale of the business in due course etc

Jim Stafford

If there is property involved then the property could be owned by the partners as Tenants-In-Common. An operating company could be formed to operate the business and rent the property from the partnership.

You should have a property ownership agreement and a shareholders agreement which specifies that either of you could buy each other at market value at some time in the future.

I would have thought that the investor would be seeking a minimum return of 15% per year over 10 years. You need to agree with him how does he achieve this: salary v/s dividends v/s sale of the business in due course etc

Jim Stafford

Thanks for your reply Jim.

I would have expected a much lower percentage than 15% given the returns available in the banks at the moment.

I know that the risk involved plays a huge part but would it be very unreasonable to expect someone to invest at around the 8% return (for a very solid business, trading 20 years) given the fact that they would be unikely to get over 3% at the bank?

I think a return of 8% on the €500,000 would be low.

What he would get on deposit is not the right question.

If you were to borrow the money from the bank how much would that cost. In the region of 8% I would think. But the bank will probably not give you the loan. Banks can average out their losses across thousands of customers, a one off investment like this should get a significantly higher return.

Thanks for your reply Jim.

I would have expected a much lower percentage than 15% given the returns available in the banks at the moment.

I know that the risk involved plays a huge part but would it be very unreasonable to expect someone to invest at around the 8% return (for a very solid business, trading 20 years) given the fact that they would be unikely to get over 3% at the bank?

Risk and return. If you leave your money on deposit, you take no risk and get little/ no return. You invest in a business, you are taking risk that you are not getting your money back, so we need to be rewarded accordingly. Cremeegg is correct, you can't compare the return of the investment v deposits, they are not the same levels of investment risk.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Hello,

I would suggest you meet a few independent parties and learn what you can from all of them, before finalising your negotiations. Accountants can be great, but some are more commercially minded than others. A tax consultant may be able to offer suggestions on the most tax efficient method of compensating your investor, while a good financial advisor may be able to share experiences of other similar transactions, and possibly assist you with negotiations etc.

I concur with the opinion of cremeegg and Steven above, a return in the double digits would be appropriate for this type of investment - however, whether it's 12% or 18% is open to negotiation and depends on the specifics of the business.

While you have suggested that there is little risk, the fact is that most small privately owned businesses actually have quite considerable risk given they are often quite vulnerable to competitive forces etc. Industry sectors play their part, time established, management team, whether they sell goods & services for cash or are forced to offer trade terms to their customers, whether they have a strong brand, sole agencies, a stable trade, steady margin etc. Also, from an investors point of view, they cannot easily get their money back if they need it - unlike say a quoted company where they might be able to sell their shares on a stock exchange. I could go on.... :)

Who is best person for me to meet to discuss options?
~Accountant or financial advisor?

Do you not have your own advisor on this matter?

You are better off talking to an experienced accountant rather than a financial advisor. I don't know many financial advisors who are qualified or experienced in the purchase/ sale of businesses. A good accountant would though.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Ideally an accountant recommended to you. You need someone experienced in start ups or structures using angel investors.

Back