Part Time Working and JSA

paw1

At the moment myself and the wife are both unemployed having lost jobs last year and are now on Jobseekers Allowance.

I've been offered a part time job which will be for 2 days a week at the moment and the pay is €90 a day. Currently I get €196 for me and €130 for my wife. Would we still get anything if I take this job as €180 would not be enough to survive on. I'm hoping this would lead to something more but the company have stressed that 2 days is all they can offer for the foreseeable future.

You may still be entitled to some Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA). Part time employment is assessed as follows for JSA.

Step A: Calculate your assessable income which is your gross wage less PRSI, Union dues, and some pension contributions (AVCs, PRSA, or Superannuation).

Step B: For each day you work, subtract €20 from the amount you calcuated at step A. The most you can subtract is €60 (3 days x €20).

Step C:Calculate 60% of the amount you calculated at step B. This is the weekly means that will be assessed against you.

Step D: Subtract the amount calculated at step C from the amount of Jobseeker's you receive now to see if you have an entitlement.

Back