Part-time work - Unemployment Benefit

ruthkell

Hi,
I am due back to work full time in couple weeks following Maternity leave and am wondering could I go back 3 days per week and claim Unemployment Benefit (PRSI) on the other days? This would depend on my employer giving me 3 days instead of fulltime and being entitled to claim for 2/3 days.

am wondering could I go back 3 days per week and claim Unemployment Benefit (PRSI) on the other days? This would depend on my employer giving me 3 days instead of fulltime and being entitled to claim for 2/3 days.
Will you be available for and seeking work on these other days? If not then you cannot legitimately claim Jobseeker's Benefit.

Hi Clubman,
No, I was hoping to work part time so I could spend more time with our new addition. Just don't think I could afford to work 3 days with no other income and thought I would be entitled to use my PRSI to top up!! Thought my idea sounded too good to be true. Looks like its back to full time work soon!!
Somebody mentioned to me that I could based on not being able to juggle full time work with caring for family!!

I'm afraid clubman is right.unavailability for work for the remaining days eliminates you from either assistance or benefit.

There may be other tax credits/welfare options available to you depending on your circumstances. If you can post more details here people may be able to comment. Alternatively contact CitizensInformation for advice.

Back