Part Time Work and Bank Holidays

paw1

Can someone explain why on the weeks with a bank holiday you only get 1/5 of your normal weeks pay for that day. Just started to work Wed-Fri and as SW dont pay Im down money. Normally get €100 per day, so 1/5 of this is €60 but I now pay more PRSI & USC so only came out with €40 for that day, so ever time there is a bank holiday I will be down money, is this correct.

As most public holidays are on Monday's I don't understand how you are down in your pay on a week with a public holiday.
As you work wed-Fri the 1/5 that you are paid is extra (as well as your 3 working days)

I wonder is OP looking at net pay. If you make more you may have to pay higher PRSI and USC for that week but overall net wise you are up money.

I reason I'm down money is because I'm not paid by SW for the Monday (Bank Holiday) I normally get €48, so when the job pays me for that day I only came out €40. I known its not much in the difference but as my other half is also now unemployed the €8 at least pays my bus fare in and out of work.

The reason I asked about the 1/5 rule, was I thought it would be a days pay that the company had to give me. If you work fultime 1/5 would equal a days pay so why not when you work 3 days.

I didn't realise that you don't get SW for a Bank Holiday

That doesn't seem right

I think the point is that if you are only employed Wednesday-Friday, you get social welfare on Monday and Tuesday, except when they are bank holidays. This does seem unfair.

Fair enough, but if you are fulltime you would get your normal weeks pay and and day off, while part time workers like me ( and its not by choice its the only job I could get) are less well off moneywise and still do their full week - 3 days in my case, so no day off. Actually I've just work out that I only get €38.40 out of the extra €60 the company are paying me, so I'm losing a tenner for every bank holiday.:(

Back