part-time or not?

suemoo

hi all,

Im currently studying part-time for a degree and am also working fulltime in a job which is high pressure role but I love my job and the money is fantastic.However Im really finding it hard to do both, i suppose i just didnt fully understand how much the degree would impact my freetime.

iv been considering asking my boss if I can work a 40 hour week over 4 days so that will free up an extra day mid week for study - generally i find myself too tired with commuting etc to get too much work done in the evening time so i spend most weekends studying. Or perhaps would parttime work be the way to go?

How would you view if an employee came and asked you either of these requests?

thanks

Im sure if the degree is work related then your employer would make some arrangement. Doing a part time degree shows ambition etc so it should go down well with the employer. He may reach a comprise such as being available for phone calls during the day off.
You should show how your job wont be adversly affected by working 4 days.

fair play to you , you obviously know what you want, but dont over do it ten hours a day is extremely tiring and all you'l want to do on your day off is chill out so your killing yourself for nothing. eventually you will get so tired you wont be able to concentrate on either work or your course, so i'd think it through if i were you, if its really what you want then im sure your boss could organise it , it shows commitment on your side. good luck

We were asked the same by am employee a few years ago, and I know the company were very concerned about someone putting themselves under that much pressure and thought that a year of doing 10 hour days, plus study would result in burnout. My employer is pretty good about facilitating people who are studying, but the 40 hour week in 4 days did not work out.

10 hours a day is not that much at all! 8.00am to 6.00pm or 7.30am to 5.30pm. What's the big deal? I'd be more worried if an employee was so fragile that they couldn't do 10 hours a day.
As an employer I would have no problem with this. Wicklow's point about being available for phone calls is a good idea.

10 hours a day is not that much at all! 8.00am to 6.00pm or 7.30am to 5.30pm. What's the big deal? I'd be more worried if an employee was so fragile that they couldn't do 10 hours a day.
As an employer I would have no problem with this. Wicklow's point about being available for phone calls is a good idea.

what vitamins do your employees take, id like to know

i work 8 to 6 five days a week frequently! (in a 35 hours a week job... :rolleyes:) it's very doable tbh, and i would imagine most jobs require a couple of hours over and above the advertised hours per day???

what vitamins do your employees take, id like to know
You are joking, right?

i work 8 to 6 five days a week frequently! (in a 35 hours a week job... :rolleyes:) it's very doable tbh, and i would imagine most jobs require a couple of hours over and above the advertised hours per day???
If it's every day then you shoudl get paid for it, but I agree; a couple of hours extra a day is no big deal.

I don't know anyone myself in the private sector who works less than 40 hours a week, even though contracted for 35, or 39. 40 hours over 4 days is quite standard for many.

part time is ok as long as it wont affect your studies.. know how to manage your time well..

Im sure if the degree is work related then your employer would make some arrangement.

I agree with Wicklow.

Any employee doing a degree relating to their work can be seen as an asset by an employeer.

In seeing your employer on this, I would suggest having a clear goal on why you are doing the degree, and how you intend to use it to further your career in their company.

Best of luck!

Back