Part time lecturer pension query

padraigh

Am I accruing rights to a PS pension with the 3rd level institution?

I have been working with a 3rd level institution for the past 10.5 years, sometimes on a pro rata contract but more recently on a part time basis including LLL (Lifelong learning, evening classes).
The hours I would normally work would be LLL and Tutorial hours. LLL hours are per subject and for the full academic year however tutorial hours are part time they begin in Oct and continue until April. These hours are not guaranteed and can change per subject.
I have no contract on any of the tutorial hours and for the past 3 years I have no contract on the LLL hours. I would appreciate any advice.

Have you checked with the college human resources/ payroll section? Hopefully they can provide suitable assistance and advice

Payroll have given me a list of my hours per year for the last 10 years, which work out to be approx 3/4 + of full time equivalent. I have approached HR with regard a CID contract and pension entitlements but they have not answered my queries.

Do you receive payslips?

These should detail if you are making pension contributions

You are entitled to a contract detailing your rights for all hours worked

Is this a public sector third level institution or private?

Sorry I see you mean PS pension

Surely the payslips detail pension contributions ?

Are you a lecturer?

Are you a member of the Union in your third level institution

They should be able to advise too

Yes to all, I pay PRD (pension related deduction), I am a part time lecturer and a member of the TUI with no contract on any hours. I am told I do not have any hours that are pensionable.
I am working up to 25 contact hours at the moment. Most of them are supplementary hours (tutorials) some LLL Lifelong learning hours, some part time.
My position is very unique that TUI are not sure where to go with me

Yes...I pay PRD (pension related deduction)...I am told I do not have any hours that are pensionable...TUI are not sure where to go with me
As has been well covered elsewhere on this site, the phrase "pension related" is Orwellian-speak for "public service" and is payable by all sorts of employees who will never benefit from the gold-plated pension arrangements that legend has all public servants entitled to.

That's not good enough from the TUI. You've clearly been in this job for a long time. You need to put pressure on your union to do its job. It should not be down to you being politely ignored by your HR department. Your union should be in the LRC, or whatever it's called these days, fighting on your behalf. Insist on it.

Ignore the PRD line on your payslip, all PS pay that.

What you are looking for is normal pension conts on the payslip, these maybe written in code.

Back