Part-time employee dismissed for not being available for one shift

This is what gets me.

And while an adult might be able to move on, a young lad might take it to heart or might think that all employers are like this company.
Agreed.

Assuming he’s telling the truth, I’d follow it up with a complaint to the WRC on a point of principle.

Cases are not anonymous any more so I would not recommend that for the sake of principle
If complaints are settled at mediation stage, any such settlement is confidential. Only the outcome of cases that go to formal adjudication enter the public domain.

In this case, the employer would be very foolish to allow matters go to adjudication.

Young workers are a special class of worker and have better protection under law.

While you can fire a person easily in the first 6 months, getting them to sign a document saying they were fired for gross misconduct would be looked on very unfavourably by a labour inspector. If they regularly employ 16 year old they should have policies and procedures in place for training, safety etc.

A parent can complain to the WRC on breaches of the young persons act so I would suggest phoning them to complain. It might trigger an inspection. At the very least I would demand the signed document be removed from the file and destroyed.

Who'd really want their 16 year old working in an outfit like this?

Or make them the subject of a possibly very dirty legal case with a high likelihood that trumped up accusations would be made against them?

Move on and write it down as a lesson.

Back