Parking Ticket Wrong Street Name

Sisyphus

I got a parking ticket in my local town for parking on a double yellow line. The warden got the street name wrong on the fixed penalty notice. The fixed penalty notice is therefore factually incorrect. Is this grounds for not paying. Could I dispute this ticket??

Were you parked on a double yellow? If so, why try to weasel your way out?

Their mistake, not yours and not trying to weasel your way out of it at all. The ticket you got for parking illegally is incorrect so you would be an awful fool to pay for it. If on the other hand you feel guilty about parking on a double yellow line you could call into the council and tell them what you did, where it happened, give them back the wrongly issued ticket, pay them and walk out the door leaving a lot of office staff having a good laugh at your expense.

Their mistake, not yours and not trying to weasel your way out of it at all. The ticket you got for parking illegally is incorrect so you would be an awful fool to pay for it. If on the other hand you feel guilty about parking on a double yellow line you could call into the council and tell them what you did, where it happened, give them back the wrongly issued ticket, pay them and walk out the door leaving a lot of office staff having a good laugh at your expense.

I've had 3 lots of penalty points since they were introduced, never so much as looked at location or other particulars on the notice other than to confirm the points, I've just paid it because I knew in each instance I'd been speeding.

This type of nonsense is typical of the society we live in, where we pay lip service to buzz words like accountability but nobody wants to actually be responsible for their own actions...

I hope that if you ever go slightly over the speed limit on the roads, even for a few seconds that you call to the Garda Station and tell them. Shocking to have that on your conscience, wouldn't it?

I hope that if you ever go slightly over the speed limit on the roads, even for a few seconds that you call to the Garda Station and tell them. Shocking to have that on your conscience, wouldn't it?

Nope, not the same at all, I'll choose to drive (or park) how I wish, and I'll accept responsibility for the consequences, without trying to escape on a technicality.

Dispute it, there'll likely come a time when you get a ticket and know you shouldn't have but won't be able to prove it so it'll all balance out in the long run.

Their mistake, not yours and not trying to weasel your way out of it at all.
The OP broke the law and got caught. They should take it on the chin and pay the fine. Your attitude stinks. Jon Snow is correct.

Dispute it, there'll likely come a time when you get a ticket and know you shouldn't have but won't be able to prove it so it'll all balance out in the long run.
Wow, using the Karma argument to weasel your way out of paying a fine. Full marks for imagination, zero for integrity though.

Purple,

Maybe I am odd (don,t comment please!)
But I would take a perverse pleasure in having the means to avoid a fixed notice fine.
I think a lot of people will treat (driving) type fines that way.
I don,t think it means we lack integrity.
Driving fines are different to normal type fines I think?.eg some of the speeding tickets are a bit harsh at times.

Thanks for the lecture Purple, you're one of those that will always stand out in a crowd, ie, alone and never wrong but great crack to listen to. ;)

If the OP paid for goods or services in the local town, and that establishment pays rates to the local council, then he's paid his parking charge as far as I'm concerned.
Contest this fine and use the funds to pay for legit parking for your next few visits to the same town... karma balancing out. Don't feel guilty about it for a moment.

Purple,

Maybe I am odd (don,t comment please!)
But I would take a perverse pleasure in having the means to avoid a fixed notice fine.
I think a lot of people will treat (driving) type fines that way.
I don,t think it means we lack integrity.
Driving fines are different to normal type fines I think?.eg some of the speeding tickets are a bit harsh at times.
I received a fine for doing 48 in a 40 zone, just off a 100Kmph zone. I was seriously pissed off. I paid it though.

I've had 3 lots of penalty points since they were introduced, never so much as looked at location or other particulars on the notice other than to confirm the points, I've just paid it because I knew in each instance I'd been speeding.

This type of nonsense is typical of the society we live in, where we pay lip service to buzz words like accountability but nobody wants to actually be responsible for their own actions...

Nope, not the same at all, I'll choose to drive (or park) how I wish, and I'll accept responsibility for the consequences, without trying to escape on a technicality.

The OP broke the law and got caught. They should take it on the chin and pay the fine. Your attitude stinks. Jon Snow is correct.

Totally agree with Jon Snow & Purple on this.

OP, you did the crime so pay the fine. ;)

I would not have an issue in contesting this, and would sleep soundly in my bed knowing I didn't just roll over on a mistake, which was on their part. With parking tickets, its a bit like cat and mouse. I have often had the need to double park to nip in and out for this or that and would cast a glance for the traffic wardens where-about. Not the end of the world. If I were stopped doing 48 in a 40klm zone and the offence had the wrong street marked on it, well, you would be a fool not to challenge. it I think there are bigger sins out there!!

If the OP paid for goods or services in the local town, and that establishment pays rates to the local council, then he's paid his parking charge as far as I'm concerned.

By extension of that argument... I pay for goods and services all the time, so I then should be entitled not to pay my property tax. Maybe if I buy more, then I can avoid paying waste charges, or whatever else I choose, because somehow buying goods and services entitles me to ignore other charges at my discretion?

The OP clearly hasn't paid their parking charge, if you read the post, they parked on double yellows. It amazes me how many people seem to think they can ignore the law and use made up arguments like these to justify their actions in breaking these laws. It's in the same bucket as those who claim to pay their taxes yet do everything possible not to pay.

The OP clearly hasn't paid their parking charge, if you read the post, they parked on double yellows. It amazes me how many people seem to think they can ignore the law and use made up arguments like these to justify their actions in breaking these laws. It's in the same bucket as those who claim to pay their taxes yet do everything possible not to pay.

The law applies both ways - both to the issuer of the ticket and the receiver. The issuer of the ticket should not ignore the law that states they must issue a valid fine, yet you seem immediately prepared to overlook that breach of the law?

This parking ticket was not valid \ legal therefore the OP is clearly and legally entitled to contest it. I am explaining why he should not feel guilt over contesting an invalid fine. I have not made up arguments to explain why he should not feel guilt over breaking the particular law in question - which is an entirely separate issue, and I am not advocating that anyone should start wholesale ignorance of double yellow lines.

As a general point, I don't think anyone who parks in a "pay and display parking zone" and does not pay - but spends money in local rate paying establishments - should feel the slightest pang of guilt. The purpose of those zones is for revenue generation and the efficient use of parking spaces, nothing more.

Back