Parking on public road, residents using cones to stop motorists parking, Council don't care?

I think what @SlugBreath is saying here is that you can't just tear down a garden wall and add a couple of parking spots to the front of your house. You need planning permission for it.
Only the council is allowed to dish the (public) footpath on front of you property so you can drive in and out easily. They will only do that work if you have planning permission.
Mind, there's quite a few houses that probably didn't bother to get planning permission, and solved the old driving-up-the-curb by putting a wooden plank in front of it.

To the OP: if my neighbours would put down cones on a regular bases to reserve spaces on a public road I would most likely accidentally drive over them. Different story if it is for the odd delivery van or similar.

"You need planning permission for it & a few houses" - its quite common and PP not enforced (I believe that you even need permission to tarmac/concrete/cobblelock complete garden as runoff involved but open to correction here)

"Drive over" - Thats criminal damage or wanton vandalism and I would not for a moment support that type of behaviour,

"You need planning permission for it & a few houses" - its quite common and PP not enforced (I believe that you even need permission to tarmac/concrete/cobblelock complete garden as runoff involved but open to correction here)
Just because it is common doesn't mean it is not illegal. Tells you something about the general attitude towards laws and regulations in this country...

"Drive over" - Thats criminal damage or wanton vandalism and I would not for a moment support that type of behaviour,
And neither would I! But accidents do happen all the time, especially if there's stuff being dumped on a public road that has no business of being there and clearly wasn't to be expected to be there.

Just because it is common doesn't mean it is not illegal. Tells you something about the general attitude towards laws and regulations in this country...

And neither would I! But accidents do happen all the time, especially if there's stuff being dumped on a public road that has no business of being there and clearly wasn't to be expected to be there.

"in this country" - We use Common Law in our courts as well as leglisation ........same as in the UK, and we also practise tolerance. Also, this country is as good as any other and in some areas we are much better.

Not up to you to decide if an item should be destroyed if left on the public road consistently, the children in my estate would lose all their toys and bicycles if you were around.

"in this country" - We use Common Law in our courts as well as leglisation ........same as in the UK, and we also practise tolerance. Also, this country is as good as any other and in some areas we are much better.

Not up to you to decide if an item should be destroyed if left on the public road consistently, the children in my estate would lose all their toys and bicycles if you were around.

Not sure what your going on about common law has to do with the fact that planning permission is required if you want to make alterations to your driveway.

I don't think it is a good idea that parents let their kids dump their toys and bicycles on public roads.
I also don't think it is very nice from a neighbour to block parts of a public road using cones on a regular basis.

I give up :(

You do understand the concept of Planning Permission?

Not up to you to decide if an item should be destroyed if left on the public road consistently, the children in my estate would lose all their toys and bicycles if you were around

We are not talking about children and their toys we are talking about adults taking over part of a public road for their own private use. Who said anything about destroying children's toys.....except you.

You do understand the concept of Planning Permission?

We are not talking about children and their toys we are talking about adults taking over part of a public road for their own private use. Who said anything about destroying children's toys.....except you.

Planning Permission is not required for people putting out cones in front of their garden. -> check it out, other procedures apply if it needs to be formalised.

I was referencing the unilateral deliberate destruction of any private property (cones) -> still wrong
====================

Planning Permission is not required for people putting out cones in front of their garden.

Indeed. Reason being that people have no business putting stuff on public roads that is likely to obstruct traffic in the first place. An appropriate description for it might be “illegal dumping”.

Agreed - that PP not an issue.

Use of cones is not seen a Illegal Dumping - look at Croagh Park & Environs.

Note definition of Illegal Dumping:
Illegal dumping is defined as discarding waste in an improper or illegal manner, where it doesn't belong and/or where environmental damage is likely because of the improper disposal.

Its not much different..........one can hold the space outside by demolishing the garden wall and creating parking spaces for parking in the garden.
Done all over the country....maybe we should have a new PC Force to correct this :)

Wouldn't it be lovely if all those people who have turned their front gardens in to parking spaces without planning permission had to reinstate their garden walls. The local council could collect a huge amount in annual fines from people who did't comply.

Cones placed on the public road are litter and should be removed by the council. You cannot leave a wheelie bin on the road so why are you allowed to leave a plastic cone just because it is a different shape.

Wouldn't it be lovely if all those people who have turned their front gardens in to parking spaces without planning permission had to reinstate their garden walls. The local council could collect a huge amount in annual fines from people who did't comply.

Cones placed on the public road are litter and should be removed by the council. You cannot leave a wheelie bin on the road so why are you allowed to leave a plastic cone just because it is a different shape.

:( :mad:

I see that the selfish people who put the plastic cones outside their house to reserve a private parking space for themselves haven't even bothered to take them in as Hurricane Ophelia is about to hit. No consideration for motorists, pedestrians etc.

Flying debris and Dunlaoghaire Rathdown County Council couldn't give a toss.

I see that the selfish people who put the plastic cones outside their house to reserve a private parking space for themselves haven't even bothered to take them in as Hurricane Ophelia is about to hit. No consideration for motorists, pedestrians etc.

Flying debris and Dunlaoghaire Rathdown County Council couldn't give a toss.
Ring the Guards. Now's your chance.

Oops I've widened my driveway so we can get the family cars off the road, I had no idea permission was required but that wouldn't have stopped me, I did not drop the kerb or interfere with the path or road tho'

Very common to see this and I would be very surprised if planning were in place every time, this is a practical solution in some cases where multiple car ownership within a house was not considered by the planners at the initial stage.

Last edited:
Oops I've widened my driveway so we can get the family cars off the road, I had no idea permission was required but that wouldn't have stopped me, I did not drop the kerb or interfere with the path or road tho'

Very common to see this and I would be very surprised of planning were in place every time, this is a practical solution in some cases where multiple car ownership within a house was not considered by the planners at the initial stage.

Bad bad neighbour......... :eek: Read the thread.......... a security crew is on its way to your home now to arrest you, flatten the house and reinstate the path

Ah but I didn't touch the path...I'll happily restore and beg forgiveness once the other driveways widened before mine are attended to...nationwide.

A venial sin I think at best, the interesting thing is we also have people parking outside our home as we are maybe 500 metres to a hospital, the hospital has a large car park and there is also street pay parking for a €1....yet we have them, so glad I spent my hard earned to get our cars off the road to make way for those that will not use the available spaces at the hospital.

Does this irritate me....yep !

Back