Parking/Motoring offence

meathenterpr

In mid December gone a elderly relation of mine received in the post for payment of a fine for
1. parking in a disabled parking bay
2.non display of tax or insurance.
that occurred earlier in the same month

The car is parked in her private garage, it has not been out on the road for the last number of months due poor health of the person involved and a flat battery in the car. I have checked the car and it is taxed and insured until June 08 and both discs are displayed.
No receipt or proof of ticket was left on the car.
I have rang the station where the Garda is based and I have talked to the Garda involved. The Garda claims that they do not need to leave any proof of fine on the car as it is now computerised. Is this the case?
The Garda saif that if the relation want to overturn the fine it will need to be fought in the courts. This person is in her late 70's.
What can be done?

Sorry the post isn't clear, did the gardai make a mistake and take the wrong reg of a car that was actually illegally parked? (I'm not sure what the relevance of the "proof of fine" is if the car wasn't out on the road at the time)

Go to the garda station with the tax disc, ask to speak to the member in charge, explain the situation, the garda who gave the ticket might just be a young buck who will be put to rights by the sergeant...

Basically the car is not on the road and has not been for a number of month. My relation is unfit to drive having damaged her shoulder months back.

Maybe I am wrong on this but don't the Garda have to also put a ticket on the car to let the person know that they have been fined.

I know it is not relevant to this issue but this is what I said and the Garda in question said that no it is not the case it is all computerised. Seems a little hard. Maybe it is off topic

One of two situations has taken place here,
1: another relation had use of the car without her permission, it does happen!!
2: the garda has taken down the wrong reg, it also happens!!.

Common sence has to apply here, make an appointment to see the sargent, and explain how she could not have been using the car due to her health and no one else has keys or use of the car.
If this still has to go to court the garda sargent will get a roasting from the judge after, out lining how you tried to avoid a mistake getting this far.. and tell the sargent that.

write in immediately to the superintendent in charge of the garda involved at whatever station or district. If its a genuine error in reg, etc. it will be cancelled. If not, it will be at least be thoroughly checked out why it was issued in first place. The garda will have to account to his superintendent why and how the notice was issued if the car is not in use. Give it a few days and check on what happens as Garda could have taken wrong details, etc. - it can happen computers or no. If the car was not actually on the road at all, sounds more like a garda error which will have to be cancelled.

write in immediately to the superintendent in charge of the garda involved at whatever station or district. If its a genuine error in reg, etc. it will be cancelled. If not, it will be at least be thoroughly checked out why it was issued in first place. The garda will have to account to his superintendent why and how the notice was issued if the car is not in use. Give it a few days and check on what happens as Garda could have taken wrong details, etc. - it can happen computers or no. If the car was not actually on the road at all, sounds more like a garda error which will have to be cancelled.

This happended to me before too - I got a ticket for non display of tax even though the disc was sitting there for all to see, and in date. When I queried it with the local station they told me to write to the Super, as mentioned above, explaining my case and I received a notice a few weels later cancelling the ticket.

Back