Parking issue query

DannyBoyD

Car A parks on a cul-de-sac on the left by footpath, there are other cars parked further up in the same way. No road markings, no pay & display signs. Not blocking any entrance, there is room for other cars to pass.

Car B comes along later and parks parallel to Car A on the other side of the road.

The road is now blocked.

Car A is a visitor, Car B a resident.

Who is at fault?

Car A parks on a cul-de-sac on the left by footpath, there are other cars parked further up in the same way. No road markings, no pay & display signs. Not blocking any entrance, there is room for other cars to pass.

Car B comes along later and parks parallel to Car A on the other side of the road.

The road is now blocked.

Car A is a visitor, Car B a resident.

Who is at fault?

B. The rules of the road say "don't park opposite another vehicle on a narrow road"

If car B's owner's house burns down because the fire brigade can't gain access, wouldn't the B owner feel silly...

I would have said Car B also.

the above happened to friends of mine (Car A) - they were visiting friend who lived there and everyone went for a walk after tea, came back an hour later to verbal abuse from two others who were not able to move their car. frustration very understandable, but they were giving out to the wrong person.

Last edited:
There is a right to enter, pass along and exit a public road. There is no inherent right to park on one.

I would have said Car B also.

the above happened to friends of mine (Car A) - they were visiting friend who lived there and everyone went for a walk after tea, came back an hour later to verbal abuse from two others who were not able to move their car. frustration very understandable, but they were giving out to the wrong person.
indeed they were.

Back