Parking Fine - Cork

Ravima

Got a parking fine yesterday. Was parked in a 1hr zone and thought it was a 2 hour. Fair cop.

however, on loking at the ticket I got, it refers to ' parking a vehicle at a time prohibited in a disc parking area'.

I think is shoud read, 'parking without displaying a valid parking disc'.

Does anyone have experience of this and can it be successfully challenged.

I accept that things could be worse, clamped or towed, but I am interested all the same

Hi ravima,

I got a ticket one time and it said for parking a bus outside the permitted area. It should have been for parking at a bus stop. I wrote in and said that I don't drive a bus and I heard no more about it so probably worth a shot.
angie

Emigate to the Galapagos Islands. Cork City Council will never find you :D

Ravima said:
' parking a vehicle at a time prohibited in a disc parking area'.
I think is shoud read, 'parking without displaying a valid parking disc'.

is the address where your car was parked and time not written on the ticket (never got one so i don't know)?

if there is , you may want to check if there is such a thing as "parking a vehicle at a time prohibited in a disc parking area" at such place/time as on your ticket?
Even though filled up incorrectly, it may still be a valid one, impossible to challenge
Good luck

see [broken link removed]

I was a traffic warden in a former life and prehaps I can help.

A valid parking ticket must have the following items:

1. Reg number
2. Place of alleged Offence
3. Date and Time of offence
4. Nature of offence.
5. signature and number of traffic warden.

If any of these details are missing or wrong, the council are on a hiding to nothing. In general if there is a fatal error on the ticket they may try to brazen it out by denying your appeal and make it go to court. Revenue generation is what the game is here. They would hope that you will pay up in the mean time to avoid any unpleasntness. In a court you will always win if the ticket has a fatal error on it.

Can you scan the ticket and I can check the bona fides of the ticket for you. The wording can vary from place to place depending on the wording of local bye laws on which tickets are issued under.

Was it a hand written job for a computer printed ticket? The offence they mention could only be committed if the area becomes a clearway at some time, but even so the offence is still wrong as parking on a clearway is a specfic offence by itself. The offence they should be charging you under would be "parking in a disc parking place for a time prohibited".

Seems like a dead duck to me.
PM me for any further help.

just to note , cork council send out their summonses by registered post so just refuse (probably get a notice to say letter in sorting centre for you) to sign for any letters from cork that you may suspect, no summons no court appearance , not saying don't pay but at least it gives you a chance to see if ya can get away with it

alas, if you do not accept the summons by registered post, it can be srved, with permission of the court, by ordinary post or by personal service. All of which only serve to increase costs.

In any event, it appears that I have been charged under the wrong subsection and i am appealing. I will report back at a later satge. It can take 90 days for the city council to make a decision.

great wheels of democracy moving slowly and all that

Well the longer the better as it will push you all the closer to the 6 month limit to bring a prosecution.

I suggest keeping at least a copy of the ticket (as you will need to send the original in with the appeal)

I will go against the flow here and suggest you pay up. You were parked in a 1 h zone and got a ticket for exceeding the hour. Seems fair to me, although I can understand how annoying it is. The wording can be interpreted either way and IMO life is too short. It would be different if you were legally parked of course.

I had moved house and 'forgot' to pay a parking fine.

Approx 1 year later a guy serving a summons(from a private investigations company) called to the door of my new house and told me I had 7 days to pay or go to court.He also told me that in court the judge had requested they find me.To be honest just pay the fine now as you will have to pay it someday anyway.

D

Reminds me of the old Tommy Cooper joke - Strangers can be very kind. I went into town the other day and when I came back somebody had left a note on my car. It said "parking fine". I thought that was very nice of them.

lynchtp said:
I suggest keeping at least a copy of the ticket (as you will need to send the original in with the appeal)
Are you serious? She will need the original to produce in court as evidence to the faulty charge. Send a photocopy by all means but not the original.
I speak with experience as a traffic warden.

I have today written in to appeal.

tahnks for all your help, especially the PM.

will keep you updated, 'within 90 days'!!

bond-007 said:
Are you serious? She will need the original to produce in court as evidence to the faulty charge. Send a photocopy by all means but not the original.
I speak with experience as a traffic warden.

Thats not what the office in Cork said, and they eventually lost the compaint that was posted in, and they dropped the fine.
But I agree about not giving them the original.

How is it that a private investigator can find you (and thereby ramp up the cost) but the court cannot - seems like a jobsworth judge on the loose to me. Not saying you should have "forgot it" like you said but in the greater scheme of things - Parking - thats a real national agenda issue isn't it. Ferns Clerics would be a better place to concentrate the judiciary...........IMHO

Back