Park West Pointe vs. Royal Canal Park

G

Galadriel

Hi, I have a difficult decision. To buy a 900 sq ft apartment in Park West Pointe or to buy 688 sq ft apartment in Royal Canal Park - any advice? Galadriel

Have you used the search facility to read about previous discussions on both developments?

I would tend to go for Royal Canal Park (I have a friend living there) as it is more of a residential area. I have expressed doubts about the desirability of living in PWP in another thread, and the consensus of those who posted appeared to be negative, but of course all opinions are only personal.

I know that the management charges in RCP are quite high (I was shocked when my friend told me how much he was paying-I don't recall the figure, but it was substantially higher than what we pay, and ours are at the higher end of the scale AFAIK).

I have read previous discussions on this. In terms of facilities they are both similar, both have gym on site, park west has small shop and bar, royal canal is about to get small shop, neither are close to proper shops or amenities so no difference really. Need personally to be able to get to office in town a few days a week and travel via N4 and N7 other days. Both seem to be near undesirable areas. Am wondering which will do best in terms of appreciation in value.

Galadriel said:
IAm wondering which will do best in terms of appreciation in value.

Crystal ball territory there mate. If you are buying it as your PPR, appreciation in value shouldn't really be your primary concern, but that's another story. A lot will depend on the timeframe involved. The delivery or otherwise of suburban rail stations at both sites will also be of relevance.

Unless it's the city centre, I would have thought that the larger the apartment, the more desirable for potential buyers,

RCP is about 4 miles from City centre off rathoath road. It is in what was apparently the last undeveloped green area within the M50 when it was rezoned back in the late 90's (according to newspaper reports at the time). It borders, Ashtown, Navan Road, Finglas and Cabra (although is being marketed as Castleknock!!). Location is good, can be in the city centre in 15 mins, although this can also be 40 mins (you just never know). There is currently a train running past RCP (the much maligned Maynooth Express, possibly more akin to a sardine can than a train by all accounts), this takes about 15 mins to get to Tara St and RCP is maybe 7/8 min walk from the station? Developers are Ballymore.
There are numerous large shops relatively close - Tesco clearwater or Stoneybatter are reasonably equidistant from the development, Blanch is only about 15 mins in the evening (8 hrs on a saturday).
As for appreciation, I would favour location over size in apartments, but 688 is pretty small for a 2 bed not in the city centre I would think? You pays your money

I love living in RCP. V handy for town, great bus service, good supermarkets nearby, extremely close to the M50... But was without my car for a couple of weeks and I felt very cut-off. Did somebody say that a shop is due to appear soon?

I work in Park West and its still in the first stages of residential living, there's a spar, chinese and a pub close by and nearest supermarket/shopping centre would be liffey valley/clondalkin village i think? Traffic leaving Park West to head to Nangor Road in the mornings can be a bit of a nightmare some mornings going towards Red Cow - I'm not too sure what the N4 is like that time of the morning.

The Dubln-Kildare railway line is being extended with the addition of Adamstown in Lucan and Park West is a proposed stop on the line. It is aiming to get commuters to Heuston Station in 15 mins.

Back