park crescent, kimmage

S

steph

Hi, I currently live in Drimnagh and are considering buying a house in park crescent, kimmage (facing Lorcan O'Toole park). I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the area. i have a little boy and would like him to grow up in a nice neighbourhood. Thank you very much.

I live quite nearby. Park Crescent overlooks the GAA pitch, so you will get woken up on Sunday mornings - you might also have some congregating in the evenings. Knowing how much the house is on the market for, I might think twice about it: while we've been happy living in the general area over the last five years, it has its rough element. (Plus we looked at one of those houses a couple of years ago and thought the bedrooms were desperately cramped! And I'm nearly sure the one you're looking at is now mid-terrace, isn't it?) Scout the area late on a Saturday evening and see what you think.

On the plus side, there is a good selection of schools in the neighbourhood - across in Terenure, and down on Clareville Road, as well as the local ones on St. Agnes' Road. You've got the Ashleaf shopping centre and the Sundrive Superquinn, plenty of public transport - various varieties of 15s and the 54A from Kimmage Road West, or the 83 from Stannaway Road, you're 15 minutes' walk from Terenure. A few decent takeaways too, though I'd go to Terenure or Rathgar for eating out.

At the budget, it's not the house I'd choose - but they're decent houses, and the neighbourhood is fairly okay. Some of the kids run wild, but there are a lot of very good kids around too.

If you've any more detailed questions, feel free to post and I'll answer if I can, or you can PM me if you prefer. Wishing you the best!

Hi Dreamerb, thank you very much. the thing is that the area looks nice coming from Kimmage Road but less nice coming from Crumlin. Plus it is close to Captains road which doesn't have a great reputation (but I honestly don't know which part of captains Road is bad - I have the feeling is the part close to Windmill road - do you know anythign about it?)
As I said we live in drimnagh at the moment close to the Children's hospital and I have to say it is fine here. it is very settled and the neighbours are nice but we would like to have a bigger house and possibly a better neighbourhood for our son - the kids swear too much around here :)
Would you say it would be an upgrade moving to Park Crescent?
Thanks a lot

Mmph. If the kids around Drimnagh swear too much for your taste, I honestly don't think Park Crescent is the upgrade you're looking for. I don't like Captain's Road, but you're right: the worst bit is up around Windmill Road. And overall, I think the neighbourhood is probably equivalent, rather than a distinct step up - Park Crescent itself may (probably is, but I couldn't swear to this either) be a bit better than the surrounding area, but you won't be able to seal your little boy in or other kids out!

I'm going to be absolutely stark about it, because there's an awful lot of money involved for you. I've been happy living a few streets away over the last five years, but I wouldn't really want to raise a child past toddlerhood here.

Thanks a lot for your comments...lots of things to think about!!

Hi

In relation to your query, firstly you have been misinformed about the location of park crescent, its in Crumlin not Kimmage.

Maybe it was the estate agent (as usual) who told you this because they push the boundaries all the time to sell properties. Kimmage is actually up around Whitehall Rd (Kimmage Manor is on this road) the opposite side of Kimmage Rd.

Kimmage is a nice area but Crumlin is very mixed, it comes down to the road you choose, some are very settled with nice people on and others are subject to anti social behaviour and gangs of kids vandalising cars etc. Ask around carefully, don't believe a word the estate agent tells you and good luck.

ps: I have heard good things about Drimnagh especially the areas near the hospital. I grew up nearby and Drimnagh always was considered a better area than Crumlin.

Hi

In relation to your query, firstly you have been misinformed about the location of park crescent, its in Crumlin not Kimmage.

...[snip]...

Kimmage is actually up around Whitehall Rd (Kimmage Manor is on this road) the opposite side of Kimmage Rd.
Actually, not true on either count.

Anything on that side of Stannaway road is, technically, Kimmage - source: (1) electoral register has that side as Kimmage [Kimmage D, I think]; (2) Post office told me same when I asked... though I'd give more credence to the register, which doesn't change its story on a whim. Of course the entire area was part of the big Crumlin social housing project of the 1930s, but that doesn't change the address to Crumlin.

And Kimmage is not all up round Whitehall Road: that's mostly Kimmage Manor, which is a different matter - Lower Kimmage Road itself is a sight north of that, and is emphatically Kimmage (notwithstanding creative attempts to call it Terenure between Sundrive and the KCR).

Park Crescent itself is, far as I can tell, pretty nice, but a bit close to Stannaway Avenue for my taste, and close to Stannaway Park in an area where "overlooking a green space" is used as a selling point only for the seriously naive.

Hi,
Lived on Stannaway Road (the Lorcan O'Toole end)for 8 years. Sold last January. We personally had great neighbours and enjoyed our time there, but, we found the area generally getting busier and busier with Stannaway Road being used as a Rat Run. I don't know how far in the Cresent the house is, if it's anywhere near Lorcan O'Toole there'll be the issue of traffic.
Another thing to remember about the GAA Club is that there is a Club bar there with a lot of the locals drinking there (my old neighbours included). So not only will you have the Weekend matches, people parking across your driveway etc but the added noise of people leaving the club house at (or way after) closing time.
On a positive note you have most amenities on your doorstep there.
Just my tuppence worth.

You can check correct addresses at http://address.anpost.ie/, free but you need to register first. An post have done a lot of work on their database in the last year, getting ready for the introduction of Post Codes. We had great fun at work, some people here thought they lived in castleknock for the last 20 years. :)

Towger

Hi I tired to register to this, but it is asking me for a user name, which I was not given, any ideas?

Park Crescent is noted as Crumlin on the on post site mentioned above.

Very handy site towger!

Thanks, couldn't get any joy, but used a different address and activation email is on the way, thanks, can't wait to annoy the snobs

Thanks a lot to everybody!! in the end we decided not to make any offer. The area is mixed as you said, plus we tried to go there on a Sunday morning and it was mental!! couldn't even go into the Crescent because of all the cars parked there!

Back