parent's family home not willed to them

luna

My grandmother died in 1995. She lived in her family home (rebuilt in conjunction with my parents in the late 80's), which had been in her full title, with my parents.

My mother never left home, married my dad in the 70s, and he went to live with them and they raised my siblings and I in this house and on this property.
When gran died she had not left a will - so my parents do not have title to the house and land they live on.

It was my grandmother's intention to pass full title to my mum but, as is typical, kept putting off going and doing a will. My mother's siblings are all alive, living their own lives now, and I wouldn't see that they would have any issue with my mum transferring title to her name. However my parents are unsure what will happen if they do so.
They are on a low income and are unsure how to approach it. They don't have money to pay large legal bills or tax bills and are afraid to get the ball rolling and end up floundering in mountains of debt.
Does anyone have advice on how to approach this? What would it involve? And is it expensive?

Why don't they just leave it alone?

They have'nt done anything in 15 ( never mind more than 30!) years, why bother now?

If the rest of the family won't throw them out, why not just leave it as a festering sore for the next generation to work out!

Mind you, equally, they could accept responsibility for it and go and see a solicitor. Prior to that, they should approach every one of the mother's siblings and see if they will all agree not to seek their share of the Granny's estate and allow the property to vest in your mother's sole name. On that basis, a solicitor should be able to work out a disclaimer situation which will achieve the end result. There is unlikely to be a tax bill but they probably do need to talk to an accountant to confirm that. If they don't have the money to pay fees to professionals then they can do it themselves ( I shudder at the thought!) or else maybe their family would help them out with fees.

Just a thought.

mf

Thanks for the feedback.

We thought they might be liable as there was probate tax (I think) in existence when my grandmother died.
Or that my mam would be liable to a gift tax from her siblings?

Leaving it to another generation is not really an option for personal reasons. Although they will readily admit they should have done something about it before now.

Back