Parcel Motel

bbound

Hi,

I had an item delivered from uk and when the item arrived in the republic, I opened the parcel motel locker with the pincode, the box was inside but the item was not in the box. The box had been tampered with and had a cut to the side covered up with packing tape.
Parcel Motel have delayed and delayed and have offered me the minimum compensation of quarter of the item value.
They have not given me any detail on why the box was in the locker but was empty?

The seller that has very high ratings sold via amazon uk sent me a picture of the item in the box that was delivered. Yet only the box was in the parcel motel locker, no item.
I have asked the seller to try to get any signed proof it arrived in northern ireland parcel motel correctly.

Can anyone offer any help with this?

regards

My last two parcels were opened and 'resealed in transit' with parcel motel tape.

Neither were high value items and nothing was missing; but it's the first time in I think 7+ years that has happened.

Now that I think of it, the photo that you get emailed before it goes out to the locker, didn't have any tape on it.

Parcel motel are fine when everything runs smoothly; less good at dealing with issues.

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever used the service until this week (I’ve ordered coffee that way because I’ll be in and out of my home). Pity.

Parcel Motel have delayed and delayed and have offered me the minimum compensation of quarter of the item value.

Was the value of the item was more than their standard liability limit of €100? What was the value and how much are they offering? They advise to take out additional cover if you are expecting higher value items. It's €3.50 for cover for a 14 day period.

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever used the service until this week (I’ve ordered coffee that way because I’ll be in and out of my home). Pity.
I've used Parcel Motel a LOT over the last few years, 100+ times I'd say. Only once had a parcel go missing and it was eventually found, and only once received somebody elses parcel. They're not perfect by any means, but I wouldn't let a small number of bad experiences put you off if it's of use to you.

Though it is worth noting that under the covers this is just Nightline couriers, and few courier companies have sterling reputations so expectations should be managed accordingly.

i used to use parcel motel until i discovered parcel wizard, same service but they deliver to your house, much better for me personally.

Parcel motel has the benefit of a UK delivery address.

I see today that they are increasing their charge for Nov & Dec, bit smart given they are surely seeing a significant uptick in profits already.

Parcel Wizard's UK address is in the same town as Parcel Motel's but they offer delivery to a pickup point, or DPD to your door.

An Post have a "competing" service whose one advantage is a UK mainland address.

I see today that they are increasing their charge for Nov & Dec, bit smart given they are surely seeing a significant uptick in profits already.

I actually think that is a shameful move, by Parcel Motel. Pure greed!

They know that it's peak season, and that a lot of people may be compelled to shop online, due to Covid - 19 restrictions etc.

Its not like they weren't making a profit margin at their standard pricing and likely to do very well this winter, given expected increased activity. They could have easily hired some additional temporary staff, put additional "post boxes" out at various pick up locations etc.

I'm a long time, regular customer, but now seriously looking at their competitors, with Parcel Wizard having been mentioned to me a couple of times, in addition to them getting a mention in this thread.

Parcel Wizard's UK address is in the same town as Parcel Motel's but they offer delivery to a pickup point, or DPD to your door.

An Post have a "competing" service whose one advantage is a UK mainland address.
Yep

in my experience of the three pw is quickest by far , I use pm to send things the odd time but it’s slow, and use address pal if I need a uk mainland address but again it’s slow generally

Hi,

I'm reading more and more positive comments about Parcel Wizard...

Any negatives, particularly if buying goods from the UK?

Not all places treat Northern Ireland the same as mainland uk so either won’t post or charge more for it, that aside my experience (and I use them weekly it seems) has been great

Its not like they weren't making a profit margin at their standard pricing and likely to do very well this winter, given expected increased activity. They could have easily hired some additional temporary staff, put additional "post boxes" out at various pick up locations etc.

I'd have thought they would have been better leaving the price as it was if you collected within a certain time. The last couple of years there was significant delays delivering items as they waited for boxes to free up.

Installing additional boxes would likely have involved the planning process...so time consuming and expensive.

I wonder how they have been impacted this year. I've used them less as I'm now WFH.

I've been using DPDs Parcel Wizard for a few years now and I find it great. Never had a single problem with a delivery and I love the hourly slot and delivery options. Good value at for €3.85 a pop. Their website is a bit clunky. Had a problem changing my inbound delivery address a couple of times but eventually got there. Had to contact customer support once and they replied pretty swiftly. All in all a completely different experience from the likes of Nightline who I have found to be just awful over the years.

I've also been using DPD Parcel Wizard for a number of years now. It suits me as I've worked from home for the last number of years. Service is top notch, with text confirmations along the way. I've only had one issue where the DPD parcel wizard number was not included on the delivery address. I rang after a week or so of no updates and they found the parcel immediately once I described the seller and the product and had it shipped to me immediately. I can see how PM might suit people if they worked outside the home but for me it's DPD all the way.

I'm not so sure about that, many people are working from home and it's no hassle to receive a package when you're there to answer the door. That's a significant portion of their business model

I can see how PM might suit people if they worked outside the home but for me it's DPD all the way.

Yeah, I used PM for deliveries as back in the good old days there was no one home. I avoided a couple of companies who used DPD as I had problems with them. Their driver gave a parcel to a builder working on a house up the road, took a few frustrating calls to sort that out.

Back