Panda "we will clean your bins" phone scam?

dub_nerd

Wondering if anyone has come across this one before.

Got a call to my mobile yesterday from what looked like a mobile number (unfortunately had a lot of other calls, so not sure exactly what number it was).

Man with an Indian accent said he was from Panda. Said they would be in the area on July 17th with a machine for washing out bins, and would I like it done. I just need to leave the bins out empty. I said yes -- no reason not to avail of a free service. He said "There's a small charge of 10 euro -- I can take it over the phone". I said no, not interested and hung up.

It struck me that a) Panda have never rung my mobile before, b) There's no way Panda would take money over the phone seeing as I have an account with them and any charges always go on the bill, c) What a great way for a scammer to get your card number, allegedly for a small future charge, so that you are not looking out for anything.

I've been too busy to get on to Panda to check it out, but will do tomorrow. There is no mention on their website of either a bin washing service or a scam.

Yes I got that call also. As it happened, I refused, but didn't consider that it might be a scam. The guy on the other end of the phone was not Irish. Good catch, you might be right on this.

Certainly sounds like a scam. I mean who washes their external bins?!

Apologies for starting a scare, but it seems the offer was legitimate. (Although Panda didn't address my question to them about the wisdom of making unsolicited phone calls and taking payments over the phone -- I do think that's a bad precedent)...

Sent: 26 May 2014 11:48
To: [dub_nerd]
Subject: RE: Possible phone scam?

Hi [dub_nerd],

Thank you for your email.

Yes we can confirm that the call you received is legitimate. We are offering a bin wash service in the DLR area.
If it is something you would like to avail of please call us on 1890 62 62 62 and we can set that up for you.

Should you require any further information please contact us.

Kindest Regards,

Panda Customer Care
Beauparc Business Park
Navan
Co.Meath
1890 62 62 62
[email protected]
www.panda.ie

I hVe availed of the service and they do an excellent job .
Smell great afterwards !! Although pretty sure just goes onto the bill....

Back