Palmerstown or Palmerston, Dublin

hansov

Just noticed that the road signage on the N4 in Dublin near, what I knew as Palmerstown, now show signs for Palmerston. In fact it looks as if the signs originally showed as Palmerstown and the 'wn' has been covered over by a 'n'. Has Palmerstown dropped a "W". It must be confusing for SatNav users!

Last edited:
It was originally Palmerston (there was a Palmerston House - not the pub) but it became known as Palmerstown when residential development began in earnest in the early 1960s.

I understand there were some moves a couple of years ago to restore the original name and certainly the current signage seems to reflect this. The Sat Nav people have obviously followed suit.

I don't know what SatNavs show - I must check.

I did hear that was to be a plebesite (sp?) about a year ago whether to go with the "W" or not. I don't know what the outcome was though.

All (printed) maps show it with a W. Even google maps!

It's Palmerstown - originally named after Lord Palmer; locals are up in arms over the loss of the w.

From what I heard (from a local politican), even though the locals are annoyed at the loss of the W, not enough people turned up for the plebesite, (has to be over some number (??)) to get the change from Palmerston to Palmerstown.

I always thought it was just a snobbery thing. That Palmerston sounds posher - like Palmerston Road in Dublin 6.

Back