Paintwork on wall looks patchy

bobjim

Hi,
I've recently painted our sitting room walls and have noticed a problem. At certain angles I can see patches on the paintwork - it's hard to explain but it's not a different colour or not enough coverage, instead it looks like the texture varies. Some parts look drier or more matt than others.

I used a roller to put on 2 coats of Crown Magnolia over a similar colour - the roller sleeve was one I had used previously and washed, it seemed in good condition. I had watered down the paint very slightly, barely a cup of water, as I've found it helps the coverage.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Or could it be an issue with the wall itself e.g. dampness or plasterwork or .....?? One thing I have thought of is that I only left 3-4 hours between coats.

Cheers,
bobjim

It sounds to me that the patches are where you the least amount of paint, maybe you rolled it out too much?

it sounds alot like whats called "mapping"its when you paint directly on too plastered walls and dont prime them with an acrylic primer first.it will keep happening no matter how many coats of paint you put on.is the wall a block wall if it is then i would say this is the problem.

this usually happens when new plastered walls are not left long enough to dry out before painting.in your case the walls might be damp.you might need to apply an alkali wallsealer before putting on a coat or two of mag.

It was an already painted wall, not newly plastered.

I'll try another coat and see if that helps - thanks for the replies.

i was referring too the first time the wall was painted,it will not change even if you put 10 coats on.that is if it is a solid wall is it.

Back