Painting the house

whiplash

Hi all, I need to paint the outside of our house or get someone to do it. Its not a big house but at the same time its trying to get some time and good weather to do it that’s the problem. Has anybody painted their own home and if so how long did it take? Can you buy equipment now that sprays the paint on instead of using brushes?

Or can anybody recommend someone that can do it at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance as always.

/whiplash

Hi

Painted ours during good weather in April - 4 bed bungalow.

Took about a full working day for the two of us to do two coats (Including the vital preparation) Just used exterior roller and brushes. Personally, I wouldn't dream of paying someone to do something like painting.

My only real advice is do not compromise on paint - get the best you can afford - cheapie paint is a false economy. Also, as above, preparation is vital - scrubbing brush with disinfectant all over to remove any loose paint or algae.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply, I'll probably do it myself if we ever find that thing we know as the sun !!

good tip is to let move your car WELL away from the house when you are painting...even with a roller..
That stuff travels very far and can ruin a cars paint job

Might even go as far as telling the next door neighbours down wind of you also

I painted the exterior of my house using the Dulux paint sprayer (about 35 quid) and it's a dream. You need to buy special paint for this (again about 35quid a pop) which is more expensive that the normal masonary paint but it is so easy it's worth it in my book. Word of caution thoug...make sure you cover every inch on the ground and move your car away as the stuff travels!

good tip is to let move your car WELL away from the house when you are painting...even with a roller..
That stuff travels very far and can ruin a cars paint job

When I painted the front of my house last year, I got paint on my wife's car, all the way down the front door, on my cat and also on my wife!

(I might pay for someone to do it next time)

When I painted the front of my house last year, I got paint on my wife's car, all the way down the front door, on my cat and also on my wife!

(I might pay for someone to do it next time)
just move your car and tell your wife to put a hat on while she's holding the ladder

the cat doesn't really matter

If you can try to powerwash the walls a few days in advance, if you use any additives make sure you rinse everything off with plain water.

Try not to paint during periods of strong sunlight (should be easy enough this year), if it is very sunny try painting the walls that are not directly facing the sun. If you use a roller, mask off the doors & windows as these will get spattered, also cover the paths with dust cloths.

Hi all, I need to paint the outside of our house or get someone to do it. Its not a big house but at the same time its trying to get some time and good weather to do it that’s the problem. Has anybody painted their own home and if so how long did it take? Can you buy equipment now that sprays the paint on instead of using brushes?

Or can anybody recommend someone that can do it at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance as always.

/whiplash
i bought a kit from argos for 70 and sprayed the dash with that and finished the house with 3 coats as you ahd to thin it down slightly to let it go thru the spraygun, but it was worth it too

Back