Painting quotes

ClaireM

What should it cost to paint a 3000sq ft house?

Georgian so high ceilings, lots of coving and wood work. Woodwork needs sanding. It walls need lining paper too.

I have been getting what I think are insane quotes.

I have looked at existing posts but most seemed to be for modern houses.

how long is a piece of string claire,you will not get an accurate quote from any one on an older house unless they look at it first,alot will depend on whay standard of work you will want done,spec of materials to be used,and unfortunatly what part of the country your in,what county you in by the way.

Prices are definitely falling, well - here in the west anyways from what i hear. As previously posted, it is very hard to give an idea of what it would cost without viewing the actual house. Are you supplying the paint or do you want the painter to supply it. It is a lot more expensive to get all of the woodwork done in a house rather than just the walls/ceilings - especially if he woodwork is new as it has to be sanded and sealed first.

There are quite vast price differences between an ordinary matt paint and a washable or scrubbable matt for instance. So the type of paint you are getting, not just the make influences the pricing. If i was you, i'd go to a trade paint shop and buy the paint yourself, then get someone to paint it for you - would be cheaper + you know what paint you are getting. If you have young kids or you are applying a very light colour in a room that will be used a lot. Then i'd recommend getting the washable or scrubbable (even better) paint. Make sure you get someone recommended & don't just go for the cheapest. Make sure they use sand and sealer if its new woodwork you are using. This helps to smooth out the wood and fills any holes or pores. It is essentially a sealer before any stains etc... are applied.

hey phillboy,just for people who dont know only use sanding sealer on wood thats going too be varnished,

also do NOT seal your wood before stains are applied,as sealing it will not let the stain or dye soak in too the wood..

Back