Painting plaster

Birroc

Hi,

I have 2 coats of white matt emulsion on my plastered walls and I definitely need a 3rd coat. Some of it is very patchy (still peach colour) but other patches are perfect white.

Am I doing something wrong ?

what pile roller should i be using?

Thats really weird, as it does sound like the plaster is still a little damp.

Perhaps its the paint?

Did you treat new plaster with alkaline resistant primer before painting?? Hubby is painter and says that b & q paint isn't good quality.

Did you treat new plaster with alkaline resistant primer before painting?? Hubby is painter and says that b & q paint isn't good quality.

what is alkaline resistant primer ?

we were told to use B&Q for first boat diluted by 15%-20% for primer.

You only need one undercoat on new plaster for the walls, so I don't know what happened there but then again the undercoat doesn't have to be perfect. It is just really to seal it.
Put on your top coat as a tester on one wall so (e.g. Dulux coloured paint) non watered down, after which, I am sure it will look fine, then when dry proceed to second coat. Should look like a professional did it!!

You only need one undercoat on new plaster for the walls, so I don't know what happened there but then again the undercoat doesn't have to be perfect. It is just really to seal it.
Put on your top coat as a tester on one wall so (e.g. Dulux coloured paint) non watered down, after which, I am sure it will look fine, then when dry proceed to second coat. Should look like a professional did it!!

I was more thinking 2 coats of white matt emulsion (1 watered down).
Then 1 coat of the coloured paint. Do you think I'll need 2 of the coloured paint ?

My plasterer recommended Woodies own brand white paint and it was terrific. I subsequently, without thinking, got a tub of B&Q white and it was noticeably of lesser quality, didn't get anything like the coverage with it.

Incidentally, my plasterer said that primer is just normal paint, but because plaster will soak up the first coat people usually put on a first coat of cheap (usually white) paint to prime it, rather than their expensive Farrow & Ball or whatever.

I was painting the whole place white anyway and I only needed two coats (not watered down) of the Woodies stuff on unprimed plaster, it looks great.

Personally, and I am sure a few will agree, two coats of coloured paint is better than one. You never get the true colour of the paint after one coat, the real paint colour always comes up better after the second.

Forget the third coat of white emulsion, start with your coloured paint.

I just use the rollers you buy in the shop that come with the tray, I used a steel kitchen brush handle for my poll which I stuck the roller onto the end of.

birroc mate your mistake was putting paint on too plaster its a very common mistake .what you should have used is acrylic primer first,what has happened too you is whats called mapping,it happens on solid walls when you put paint on too plaster,its got nothing too do with the brand of paint you used.loads of people make the same mistake.pm me and i will offer some advise.

jab1,

will be starting to paint a newbuild shortly. Any chance you'd post your tips here for us all to see?

birroc mate your mistake was putting paint on too plaster its a very common mistake .what you should have used is acrylic primer first,what has happened too you is whats called mapping,it happens on solid walls when you put paint on too plaster,its got nothing too do with the brand of paint you used.loads of people make the same mistake.pm me and i will offer some advise.

Jab1, please keep any advice etc. public in the forum. Invitations to communicate via PM are more often than not thinly veiled pushing of a service which is not allowed on AAM.
Leo

I've painted 3 of my own houses over the years from scratch and never started with primer or anything like it,just 2 coats of undercoat and they came up perfect. Either paint is of bad quality or possibly still patches of damp in plaster,having heat on wont dry it out quicker,better to let dry naturally

no probs leo i can see how that could happen, i can forward you the advise i gave too birroc or you can get birroc too forward it too you,was just giving advise without the need for justifying it to some other posters who will contradict most advise given just for the fun of it i think.

I have just plastered and skimmed my garage (friday skimmed). I had it done by a very good plasterer in my humble opinion. Im going to leave a window open for a couple of days with door maybe then after 2/3 days put in a heater for a couple of days. Do you think it would be ok to paint and then put down laminate floors after that? or how long should it be left?

hey rmdt,if you have any solid block walls which are skim coated, make sure too use acrylic primer as your first coat,it will stop the mapping effect which can ruin your walls.studded walls with plasterboard wont get the mapping effect,but its best too prime all walls first off.ill be glad too give any advise as you move along the painting stage.

Back