Painting on plaster

Iwishiwish

Hi all (again!)

I wa wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the best way to go about painting on bare plaster walls?
The house is at 2nd fix finish but was built 4 year ago so the plaster is as dry as its going to be!
I think I prefer the soft sheen/eggshell look rather then matt so am a bit confused as to what base coat is best?
Google is making me worse!!
Thanks a million!

water down ordinary white emulsion for a base coat below you apply your desired colour of choice...

S.

There are a few threads on this topic, try the Key Posts or the search facility.
Leo

I would seal the new walls with diluted PVA adhesive, but do not seal the wall completely as the wall/plaster should be allowed to breath. For this reason I would keep away from vinyl silk emulsion because it stops the wall breathing and could cause condensation on the inside of colder perimeter wall to the outside.

Hmmmmm. That's what was confusing me. The whole PVA thing. Advise is so mixed. Think I'll try the diluted matt emulsion first and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice

Hmmmmm. That's what was confusing me. The whole PVA thing. Advise is so mixed. Think I'll try the diluted matt emulsion first and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice

Both sets of advice are good. However, I would go with watered down emulsion first. You may come across patches of wall that do not take the emulsion. There you should use the PVA glue mixture to coat the bits that do not take the paint. Batter on with the emulsion for now.

Eh! What happens if you forget to water down the base coat and just start slapping on the paint?

You will just use a lot more paint but as the walls have had 4 years to dry out, probably will cover quite well. No worries.

water down ordinary white emulsion for a base coat below you apply your desired colour of choice...

S.

do NOT do the above,if paint was meant to be watered down it would come that way.you need to apply acrylic primer sealer first then paint on top of that.paint is not supposed to be applied directly to new plaster.

there is no need for pva glue, watering down paint, walls breathing or anything like that.

If you don't do that, what do you suggest then!
hey roker, i said what to do on my first post,use acrylic primer sealer.you will get it in all good paint shops,it cuts out all problems,it comes in white so thats why people think its normal white paint thats put on walls first.

hey roker, i said what to do on my first post,use acrylic primer sealer.you will get it in all good paint shops,it cuts out all problems,it comes in white so thats why people think its normal white paint thats put on walls first.

I'd bet it's more expensive than watered down emulsion which will do the job as described.

You can also buy a paint that can be used directly on plastered walls/ceilings. I got some last year and I think it's made by DULUX and it's called something like " paint on plaster".It only comes in white but is really good as a base coat for whatever colour you intend as a finish as it seals the walls. At the time I bought it there was a special offer on in Homebase and I got a 5 litre tin for less than €20 so not too expensive.

I had a problem with a newly plastered wall. Spoke to the people in Crown ( they have a helpline) and they recommended the primer sealer too. It worked a treat and it wasn't that pricey. If your in Dublin, go talk to them on the Malahide Road.

Hmmm interesting posts, but it really is simple.
Applying your good quality paint to a skimmed surface, the plaster will suck the moisture from the paint almost before the roller has made a pass on the wall, leaving lines in the paint from the roller and use of alot of paint needlessly. Do not water down PVA, just what is the point ? try it in a corner where it wont be seen and see how difficult it is to paint over PVA,compared to normal, you need to cover it with alot of paint so it doesnt show. Do.... water down cheap emulsion, its what is termed a "mist coat" takes the suction out of the plaster as its fairly watery 25 % water to cheap emulsion. The second quality coat will glide on dry naturally and finish perfectly. One coat of good quality paint apllied to fresh plaster has a tendency to peel off, particularly if the plasterer has given the wall or ceiling a "polished" finish.
You can take my advice or waste alot of money and time on a fools errand OP.

Back