Painting new stairs??

changes

Would it be more expensive to get someone to hand paint new pine stairs or to get them sprayed? They will be painted white.

I will have a painter hand-painting an old stairs for me this week. Its currently varnished and a mess. He has quoted me 200 quid including materials. I am just doing the sides as I will be carpeting the steps. He is also doing the under-side of the stairs which has awful pine panels. He seems to know what he is talking about, so I am hoping for the best.
I thought about doing it myself, but I would end up spending 100 quid on too much paint and half a dozen brushes and still make a bags of it.

I'm not sure spraying is all that practical for a stairs. How do you ensure an even coating all around balusters, how do you stop the overspray going everywhere?

Thanks for the replies, i have been quoted €500 to spray the stairs. It seems steep to me.

€500 to be sounds expensive - just the one quote you got? It's usually

Recently got my stairs (all but the steps which are carpeted) & underneath stair case painted in off white... was a dark varnish, so took a coat of primer, 2 coats of undercoat & coat of off white to get finished... work was done over 5 days... Average quote I got was for €120 per day - for stairs & 3 additional large rooms (walls & ceilings).

€500 to be sounds expensive - just the one quote you got? It's usually

Recently got my stairs (all but the steps which are carpeted) & underneath stair case painted in off white... was a dark varnish, so took a coat of primer, 2 coats of undercoat & coat of off white to get finished... work was done over 5 days... Average quote I got was for €120 per day - for stairs & 3 additional large rooms (walls & ceilings).

Jazz was that 5 days for the stairs alone or for the stairs + 3 rooms

Tin of primer €30 and 5 litre tin of Satinwood Paint approx €30 so after that your paying for the labour of which €500 seems way overpriced imo

Tin of primer €30 and 5 litre tin of Satinwood Paint approx €30 so after that your paying for the labour of which €500 seems way overpriced imo

30 euro primer and 30 euro tin of satinwood are not what you would use to spray a stairs with,so it might seem way overpriced to you, but you have priced for completely the wrong materials.spraying and brush painting are two different jobs,different paint needed for each,a pine or varnished stairs when its painted will need alot of filling and caulking that would not be needed when its varnished.this takes a lot of time. also we have no idea how big the stairs is and what condition its in, 500 euro could be a great price lets not be so quick to say someone is getting ripped of,and personally i would not let a spayer inside the door of any house unless its a new build and nothing is done inside only 2nd fix wiring.cause trying to contain overspray is practically impossible..

The stairs are only being made at the min. They will be fitted in 3 or 4 weeks. The price was to spray in the workshop. The other option is let them be fitted bare and get them handpainted in the house.

30 euro primer and 30 euro tin of satinwood are not what you would use to spray a stairs with,so it might seem way overpriced to you, but you have priced for completely the wrong materials.spraying and brush painting are two different jobs,different paint needed for each,a pine or varnished stairs when its painted will need alot of filling and caulking that would not be needed when its varnished.this takes a lot of time. also we have no idea how big the stairs is and what condition its in, 500 euro could be a great price lets not be so quick to say someone is getting ripped of,and personally i would not let a spayer inside the door of any house unless its a new build and nothing is done inside only 2nd fix wiring.cause trying to contain overspray is practically impossible..

The prices I gave were for brush job and I used these to do a kitchen recently. At no point did I say anyone was being ripped off - I said I thought it was expensive in my opinion

The prices I gave were for brush job and I used these to do a kitchen recently. At no point did I say anyone was being ripped off - I said I thought it was expensive in my opinion

we were talking about a stairs and not a kitchen,and whats the difference between way over priced and ripped off..

we were talking about a stairs and not a kitchen,and whats the difference between way over priced and ripped off..

A . stairs kitchen - its still paint job

B. I'm not accusing anyone off ripping anyone off, I said in my opion it was overpriced

I think you have to renovate all your interiors and get the look of new one don't paint them in patches.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Back