Painting cost

Pinoy adventure

Evening all

My mother has asked could I paint her home.
I'm not a painter so I sure I could but would rather get sumbody in too do it.
She wants both inside and outside done.the house is a mid terrace ex council house with extension in the back.

Any ideas of the cost involved ?
We can supply the paint or would it be better too get the painter too supply paint ?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

We got the outside of our semi-detached house painted. It has a dashed finish which 1, uses more paint, and 2 takes more time. Paid a guy €700 to paint just the outside and used about 200 in paint. Cheaper for a mid terrace, but still hundreds. The entire inside will be pricey too, but I (we) did ours ourselves. Doing it alone, you'd probably get at least a room a day done.
It will be a significant effort on your behalf to paint it all alone:
- Moving furniture, drop cloths, purchasing paint/brushes/tape/extension poles, taping up.

Does your mother understand the extent of the effort involved? I know sometimes these things can seem trivial (sure it's just a bit of paint), but it won't be a small job, or a cheap job if you get someone in

We got the outside of our semi-detached house painted. It has a dashed finish which 1, uses more paint, and 2 takes more time. Paid a guy €700 to paint just the outside and used about 200 in paint. Cheaper for a mid terrace, but still hundreds. The entire inside will be pricey too, but I (we) did ours ourselves. Doing it alone, you'd probably get at least a room a day done.
It will be a significant effort on your behalf to paint it all alone:
- Moving furniture, drop cloths, purchasing paint/brushes/tape/extension poles, taping up.

Does your mother understand the extent of the effort involved? I know sometimes these things can seem trivial (sure it's just a bit of paint), but it won't be a small job, or a cheap job if you get someone in

No she thinks it's just a bit of painting.just thinking about it with the likes of pictures on walls/wall paper/moving cabinets and beds and the likes will be fairly heavy work.
Then the covering floors and personal stuff in each room might me a bit messy.
At this stage we are thinking too get a few quotes and go from there.
€700 is that front & back ?

I bought one of these few years ago and painted outside walls of two storey detached house in couple of days. I was previously quoted €1700 to do the job by painter. It was a great buy as it has many other uses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DocaPole-Extension-Multi-Purpose-Telescopic-Telescoping/dp/B071X7PM2L/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=docapole&qid=1591117201&sprefix=doca&sr=8-1&srs=15513853031

No she thinks it's just a bit of painting.just thinking about it with the likes of pictures on walls/wall paper/moving cabinets and beds and the likes will be fairly heavy work.
Then the covering floors and personal stuff in each room might me a bit messy.
At this stage we are thinking too get a few quotes and go from there.
€700 is that front & back ?
Back, front and 1 side. About 50% pebble dashed. I got quotes of 1000 also.

Get your quotes. You mam might start to understand the level of work involved then. You might be proud to do the work for her, but if she doesn't have an appreciation for how much effort is involved you might resent helping.

Hire a professional painter to do the outside, then offer to do the principal downstairs rooms (say kitchen & living room) yourself.

If you have siblings / friends ask them for help.

I'm not a speedy painter, but I can do a room in 2 days; including prep work & furniture shifting.

Don't try and do it all at once; one room this month, one room next month.

There's nothing your Mam wouldn't do for you, give her a bit of help when she asks.

I paid 2600 for my exterior painting job 3 years ago.

Cheap paint will look fine initially but won’t last, same applies to good paint that is watered down. Coverage is nowhere near what it says on the bucket, with pebble dash it is nowhere remotely near. Dulux Weathershield was used on mine, 10 x 10 Ltr buckets were used for 2 coats.

It took a professional painter, working alone 9 days to do the job.

No doubt you will get a local handyman to do it cheaply, never usually worth it in my experience.

https://askaboutmoney.com/threads/how-much-to-paint-the-outside-of-a-house.203521/#post-1514824

I paid 2600 for my exterior painting job 3 years ago.

Cheap paint will look fine initially but won’t last, same applies to good paint that is watered down. Coverage is nowhere near what it says on the bucket, with pebble dash it is nowhere remotely near. Dulux Weathershield was used on mine, 10 x 10 Ltr buckets were used for 2 coats.

It took a professional painter, working alone 9 days to do the job.

No doubt you will get a local handyman to do it cheaply, never usually worth it in my experience.

https://askaboutmoney.com/threads/how-much-to-paint-the-outside-of-a-house.203521/#post-1514824
Your house doesn't exactly sound like a mid terrace house. Either that, our your painter screwed you over.

Your house doesn't exactly sound like a mid terrace house. Either that, our your painter screwed you over.
I’m confused, I clearly said mine was a 4 bed semi.

The O/P said any help would be great.

I paid a professional more than double what my neighbour paid to a local handyman, mine was a proper job, my neighbours was a gunter.

I thought that my experience might be helpful, sorry.

I’m confused, I clearly said mine was a 4 bed semi.

The O/P said any help would be great.

I paid a professional more than double what my neighbour paid to a local handyman, mine was a proper job, my neighbours was a gunter.

I thought that my experience might be helpful, sorry.
I didn't investigate your link. Wasn't clear at all to me. The lack of context around what size your house was had me picturing either a mansion, or van gogh.

€2600 sounds pretty high to me. Even the professionals for our 3 bed semi were quoting 1000-1200 (ex. paint). Took 2 days though, and €300 of paint (I looked it up this time, I was wrong when I said 200 in my earlier post).

good painters are expensive, good paint is expensive,

bad paint is cheaper and bad painters can be cheap or expensive, it depends.

you tend to get what you pay for with tradesmen imo. not always, but its rare that someone good undercharges.

Don’t forget that the easy bit is applying the paint to the walls.
They’ll need to be washed too, and any cracks and holes filled.
Externally they’ll need to be power washed to remove any flaking. Some people recommend spraying with an anti-(algae?) solution of prevent/delay the occurrence of that greenish effect.

Just reading this thread from last year. I have just received a quote for our 3 bed semi of €1300 including paint. Judging from the above that sounds like it is fairly standard. Anyone have any thoughts?

Btw I am in Dublin.

Thanks

Just reading this thread from last year. I have just received a quote for our 3 bed semi of €1300 including paint. Judging from the above that sounds like it is fairly standard. Anyone have any thoughts?

Btw I am in Dublin.

Thanks
Is that for the outside? If so it's not a bad price.
Everyone thinks they can paint a house when in fact they really don't have a clue. Same with any good trade. How many think they're good at plumbing, only to find they'll end up getting a qualified plumber eventually. Interior , the skirting, coving ceiling, roses, doors architrave, etc. Outside the cills, quoins, plinth. facia/soffit and sometimes wooden windows. On top of all that it has to get prepped properly. Lots of people believe they save money painting their houses. There's a good reason why a good painter is difficult to get, they're busy all the time.
Blackrock 1 on Post no 11 has it near enough spot on.

I paid 3,250 recently for the inside of a 4 bed house in Dublin. That price did not include the paint which cost about 1,000 (mostly Colourtrend and dulux brands). This included stripping and skimming the wall papered ceilings which added about 750 to the total. They painted every surface (window boards, skirting, radiators, stairs) and plastered some walls that needed fixing.

They did the entire house in about 4 days.

3 Bed semi in Dublin, I paid 1200 for labour and I think the paint was 350 for outside painting.
This included painting window frames, front\back door, small external concrete floor and facia\soffet, and an overhang roof over back porch.

painting is a PITA and one of the those jobs I'll happily pay a professional to do (other than just a small area).

As others have said the actual painting is a fraction of the work, it's all the prep, and unless you're doing it regularly you'll probably do a mediocre job and make a mess.

Not all paint is of equal quality either; if you are doing it yourself go to a proper decorating centre and ask their advice, rather than, say, Woodies.

We paid around 1400 in total last year to paint the outside of a 4 bed detached in South Dublin. That included 2 coats on 3.5 walls of the house (half brick at front, other walls plastered not pebbledash), the shed and all garden walls front and back. Also included the timber sofits/fascia and gutters. Some of the garden walls were bare block and hadn't been painted before so swallowed up a lot of paint, Dulux Weathershield was used for all. We got cheaper quotes and one for 2600 too, the guy we went went was a pro though very happy with the job he did.

Back