Painting bathroom

positivenote

hi all having terible trouble trying to paint our bathroom. We have recenly got it tiles half way up and want to paint the rest of the wall in a suitable colour, but when we piant using a roller the paint is not sticking. So we went our and were told that you had to use particular paint for bathroom walls, we bought some and it is still not giving us the finish we want, as you can still see the previous coulour beneath after about 3 coats? am i meant to treat the walls some way befor, am i meant to wait a day or two for each coa to dry and then go at it with the roller again??? any hel would be great as this is 'wrecking my head' :mad:
Thanks as always

Try washing the walls down with sugar soap first, rinsing well to remove any residue after you've done it.

The sugar soap will break down and remove any grease/dirt etc., while also chemically 'keying' the surface of the wall, making it easier for paint to adhere to it.

Just wonereing about painting the ceiling of a bathroom which has traces of mildew on it. I have wiped the ceiling down, but couldn't fully remove the mildew. Should I treat it with some kind of cleaner first.

I intend using crown mid-sheen bathroom and kitchen paint on the ceiling. Any-one any comments on this type pf paint?

Thanks

Paul J, Dettox have a trigger spray called Mould and Mildew Remover. you can get it in most supermarkets. It's probably about €3-4. You just spray it on and rinse it off a couple of minutes later. It worked for me on a bedroom wall when we moved in.

hi all having terible trouble trying to paint our bathroom. We have recenly got it tiles half way up and want to paint the rest of the wall in a suitable colour, but when we piant using a roller the paint is not sticking. So we went our and were told that you had to use particular paint for bathroom walls, we bought some and it is still not giving us the finish we want, as you can still see the previous coulour beneath after about 3 coats? am i meant to treat the walls some way befor, am i meant to wait a day or two for each coa to dry and then go at it with the roller again??? any hel would be great as this is 'wrecking my head' :mad:
Thanks as always

Also make sure the person who had the house before you didn't paint the wall will gloss paint(used for wood and metal),this will almost be like painting on plastic and the paint won't bond well or give a nice finish.

We got so browned off with these type of problems that we just tiled up to the ceiling so whilst you have the chance might be a good idea.

Go to a trade paint supplier, look in yellow pages for nearest one. They will probably suggest you use a PVA sealer, most DIY stores cary the Polybond PVA sealer. Mix this with water as per instructions and brush or roll onto the walls, this will provide a base for painting, use a suitable bathroom paint ie. one with a pemastic emulsion or a obliterating paint, again a trade supplier will have and they can mix you any colour once you supply the colour number from the tin you already used. They will also stock the correct roller head for applying the paint and buy a flitch or cutting in brush to make painting neat edges to the ceiling and the tile borders easier.

Back