Painter Quote and Recommendation

TheLastBeep

I recently received a quote for some painting works in our house, which is a 4 bed semi in Dublin. Work to be covered was:

• Hall, stairs and landing: walls, ceilings and woodwork
  • 2 single bedrooms: walls, ceiling and woodwork
  • Master Bedroom: walls, ceiling and woodwork
  • Small utility: walls, ceiling and woodwork
The walls are in reasonable condition but would need repair/filling of cracks in a few places. 3 of the walls are quite uneven so we also requested a separate quote for re-plastering them.

The two quotes received came to:

Painting - € 2,350 for labour and paint
Plastering - € 450

The painting quote in particular was a bit higher than I expected, I had a recommendation for the painters I got to quote, who had their entire house done for ~ € 1,800 (in 2015...). Since our work only covers the hall and utility downstairs and excludes one of the bedrooms and bathroom I was expecting something close to the € 1,800 figure.

Am I expecting too much or does the above seem a little expensive? I'll certainly be looking for at least 2 more quotes so if anyone has a recommendation that would be much appreciated.

I've no doubt you'll get a cheaper quote but will you know anything about the painters? Remember that they've been recommended. Anyway, I agree with you that that's a bit steep for the painting, but awfully cheap for the plastering. Six of one and half a dozen of the other. That's an old saying by the way.

Does the quote include VAT?

We had our house painted recently (last summer) and your quote seems about the going rate.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. That's an old saying by the way.

Umm thanks....I'm familiar with that one. Agreed, the painting seems a bit steep, I don't have any experience of the cost of plastering so can't compare really. Seemed more than expected to re-skim 3 walls though.

Does the quote include VAT?

We had our house painted recently (last summer) and your quote seems about the going rate.

Thanks for your reply, just to check that we are talking about the same thing here, did you get your whole house done? We are not getting the whole house, in terms of floor space its probably <50% of the house we are getting done.

If there are quite a few cracks to be filled, this can add considerably to the price as it can be time consuming. If you can get another couple of quotes from reputable companies you'll have a better idea of the going rate.

Thanks Leo. I have two further companies lined up to give me quotes so will have a better idea then. I'm happy to pay for good quality work, just want to make sure I'm not being taken for a ride!

Thanks for your reply, just to check that we are talking about the same thing here, did you get your whole house done? We are not getting the whole house, in terms of floor space its probably <50% of the house we are getting done.

We had the whole house painted inside after a major refub (all walls/celings replastered) , new doors and extension built at the back.

Also a 4 bed semi-d + office

There was quite a bit of woodwork : banister, doors, architraves, skirting and saddle boards

Our quotes were between 4.5k and 6k including paint last summer.

Umm thanks....I'm familiar with that one. Agreed, the painting seems a bit steep, I don't have any experience of the cost of plastering so can't compare really. Seemed more than expected to re-skim 3 walls though.

As others have said, getting a few (reputable) quotes will give you a better idea. On the "re-skim", i'd imagine they're taking away the old plaster and that's a lot of work. Then they'll scratch coat the surface before skimming it. Whatever you do, don't try to skim over existing plaster, etc. Also, when done, let it dry for a few weeks before painting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Leo. I have two further companies lined up to give me quotes so will have a better idea then. I'm happy to pay for good quality work, just want to make sure I'm not being taken for a ride!

Maybe think of a company or two outside Dublin - lots of guys travelling to do work on a regular basis and they could well be cheaper..

Back