Paint flaking off capstones - seal with PVA?

eamonn123456

Capstones on a garden wall were flaking badly, I scraped them back to bare concrete and painted them with 2 coats of masonry paint, no primer or undercoat as advised by paint shop.

There was a heavy dew the evening I painted on the second coat so it may have affected drying but this may not be root of the problem.

Anyway, 3 months on, the paint is peeling / flaking off wholesale.

I think now (despite paint shop advice to the contrary) that I should have primed or sealed the concrete, but I may be wrong.

I was thinking of scraping it back again (shouldnt be too hard at the rate its peeling) and this time sealing with dilute PVA before repainting in properly dry conditions, in spring or whenever that happens...

Does that make sense?

Any better ideas?

Yeah, I plan to - but that's what I did the last time.

What should I do differently this time?

Is the PVA idea going to work?

Forget about the PVA, use stabilising solution for a proper fix to the problem. As you have done before, scrape away the large loose paint bits with a scraper, use a wire brush to remove the smaller ones, then sand with some sandpaper. After this dust off the sills. Apply the stabilising solution, [broken link removed] . Then apply 3 coats of paint over the solution. Stabilising solution can be got in most good paint suppliers.

i use pliolite on any capping or new window cills,has never let me down,its an oil based paint.one coat of pliolite then two coats of masonary paint job done.

Great answers, thanks!

For the record, the capstones are not chalky or friable.

THink I will go with the stabiliser, as I have a tin of it somewhere.

Many thanks again.

Back