paint colour recommendation

N

newbie124

want to paint my hallway but it is narrow and dark and i was wondering what colours people would recommend to brighten it up. i think yellow will look dark as the back of the hall is very dark. any help appeciated

I'd go with a warmish white myself, but it's all a matter of personal taste. Decide on a basic colour, buy a number of tester pots of different shades at your local paint shop and see which ones you like. Be sure to observe the test patches at different times of day or night.

I noticed Dulux have a new range called Light and Space that's meant to reflect a lot more light making the room look brighter. How about one of the off-white colours in that range?

Pat McDonnell paints have a colour consultant who calls out to your house free of charge. I got one out for my new build and she gave very good advice about colour in all the rooms. I've no association with the company.

A pale turquoise would look very good - think blue skies! Very cheering for dark spaces.

thanks for all the replies. i think i will try that dulux new range lighta nd space colours at the weekend. thanks

My other half did his hallway in an apartment just recently. It was a regular hall with doors on right and left and just a blank facing the front door. After playing around for a year or so with various methods he mounted a full length mirror and put a very dark wall paper with a glossy pattern behind it and it's made the world of difference. The place looks a lot bigger as a result.

Definitely try to put a mirror somewhere to reflect light into the space. Would also help if your front door had a glass panel in it.

Try not to go for something too pale which is just going to look cold. There are pale colours which are warm not cold (sounds mad but it's true). If you are in the mood to splash out, Farrow and Ball's palette give a guide as to whether a colour is warm or cold.

I have just finished painting my North facing bedrooms in different shades of light and space
*Orchid Haze
*Moonlight White (not really white, more off cream) and
*Sunrise Yellow (def. not yellow, more lime green!!)
and to be honest I really dont think there is any difference between these rooms and the ones that got painted in standard dulux paint.

If I were you I would just paint your hall in a standard dulux paint, but i would opt for a vinyl soft sheen finish as opposed to a standard matt. The vinyl finish is slightly shiny so it bounces the light around the room.

I did find though when buying the light and space that B & Q were the cheapest at €38 for 5 litres - some paint shops try and sell it for over €50!

You have been warned!;)

I have a bungalow with all the rooms in the front facing North. Have an L shaped hall. I recently painted my hall in Dulux Warm Cream. It definitely lightens the hall and gives it depth. If you have dark paintwork on your doors, you should consider painting them white. It really brightens your space. I have one north facing room painted in Colortrend Pashmina Wool. It's lovely in that room but was far too pale in the hall when I tried it. I have Colortrend Butternut Squash in another North facing room which I wouldn't consider for the hall either. When I was first painting my house, I went to a very good paint shop where the owner gave invaluable advice when I described my room layouts and was spot on with each colour he choose for me (all Colortrend paints). Use plenty of tester pots and test in a few different areas. Be sure to paint a large enough section so you can determine what it will look like. Your floor covering will also play a vital role in what way the colour will turn out. Best of luck.

Hi there,

I also have dulux Warm Cream on the walls in my hall and think its really nice. I was worried it was a bit too bright when I first started using it but over the whole wall it looks just right. I also have a big mirror on the wall with a nice lamp beside it as the hall is quite dark. Everyone comments on how bright and warm it feels.

Back