Paid in Ireland, living in UK. How to minimise the pain?

E

Egor

Hi folks, thanks for reading this!

I'm currently in the position of having been working and (mainly) living in Ireland for the last couple of years. I've moved back to the UK for family reasons (baby on way and wife never left UK for job reasons), but I'm still getting paid into my Irish bank account.

I think I qualify for non-dom status as I've spent most of the time in the UK in the past couple of years.

2010 - About 320 days in Ireland.
2011 - About 150 days in Ireland.
2012 - Only 26 days in Ireland so far (with it likely to end up ~50 days total)
> 2012 - Same as 2012.

My first question is, what will moving to a non-dom status actually get me (as the majority of the articles describe the process of becoming non-dom without actually explaining the consequences).

Second question would be, what process would I have to go through in the UK for the most tax efficient process, and would having my spouse in the UK (having never left) mess up the process in either Ireland or the UK.

Lastly, as I'm currently getting hammered by currency exchange fees and the euro tanking against the pound, I'm looking at getting my employers to pay me directly into my UK bank account using Sterling. Is this a good idea? And if it is, would it mess up the taxation status above?

Thanks, Egor.

Back