AIB Padraic Kissane calls on AIB to properly redress the Prevailing Rate cohort.

Hi Spike

That is great. Padraic has not publicly advocated on behalf of this group before, to the best of my knowledge.

Padraic Kissane also believes that 4,000 AIB customers who, with the agreement of the Central Bank, have received small amounts of payments should receive full redress, without the need for them to pursue cases through the High Court.

Speaking to reporters at the AIB annual shareholders’ meeting, chief executive Bernard Byrne said the group of 4,000 AIB customers were included in December at the insistence of the Central Bank and have the right to argue their case legally because the rates they were offered did not lead to losses and were not detrimental to customers.

But Mr Kissane said it was not up to AIB retrospectively to decide what prevailing rate almost 10 years ago should apply. He said the group of 4,000 customers were not all on the same contracts but that he and other representatives should be open to talking on their behalf with senior AIB managers “to thrash it out”, or for AIB to fund fully the cases through the High Court.

Asked if he was disappointed by the Central Bank’s position over the 4,000 customers, Mr Kissane said the regulator appeared to have allowed AIB to dictate retrospectively the rate that should apply.

Hi Brendan
It is I agree an excellent article which I feel should be printed on other media print papers to gain traction on this matter and padraic is fighting hard on this matter. What about getting all our numbers and grouping up with padraic and his team...strength in numbers plus the fact that padraic is someone that has been to the fore front of the tracker issue with tv and print media for sometime.
I think it would be better for the group to collectively join up with pk team and show aib that there is a lot more irate customers not willing to go away.

Hi Spike67
I agree. However, I believe AIB will not do anything unless they are forced to do so by the Government. I've submitted a SARS request and once I have that I will appeal. I have also emailed my local TDs.

Hi gigi

I agree so I have also emailed Michael McGrath td. We need to get this on radio and media...email reporter's like Charlie Weston etc..

Michael McGrath replied that he would keep pursuing this matter. Mary M-O'C suggested I contact the Central Bank - total cop out. The other TDs in my constituency have not replied to my email - sent over 3 weeks ago

There is a pinned post which Brendan Burgess has posted with FAQ's. It has an email address for a group which has been set up for anyone who has clause 3.2 in their contract. They are looking at getting legal advice as a group.

What is the best strategy for appealing the "Prevailing Rate"? Can anyone offer any recommendations and has anyone had an appeal that has succeeded?

Back