Package Soups

rochs

I wonder if anyone knows of a package soup with low salt content.

I feel that most if not all of the branded Packet soups are thick with salt.
Regards

rochs

I think they all have lots of salt in it unfortunatly as they are processed. Best buy cartons of fresh, checking the label, or making your own as time consuming as it is.

Just seen this on the VHI website

The main salty processed foods are:
• Tinned, packet and instant soups
• Soy sauce, stock cubes, gravy, sauces
• Tinned food in brine
• Tinned vegetables with added salt
• Meat and yeast extracts
• Salted snacks like popcorn, pretzels, peanuts
• High salt ready meals and take away meals

Why not make your own and freeze? Wasjh, peel, Chop up all the veg (any sort you have), cover with water and simmer for a hour or two. Then mash with potato masher and eat!

Why not make your own and freeze? Wasjh, peel, Chop up all the veg (any sort you have), cover with water and simmer for a hour or two. Then mash with potato masher and eat!

I use a food processor instead of a potatoe masher - its a lot easier.

Might be worth checking the label on the Baxter tinned soup, they have a healthy range (chicken and veg is gorgeous) so they may have reduced salt.

If you do make your own soup the new knorr stock pots are very flavoursome to use for making soup, i'd highly recommend them.

Might be worth checking the label on the Baxter tinned soup, they have a healthy range (chicken and veg is gorgeous) so they may have reduced salt.

If you do make your own soup the new knorr stock pots are very flavoursome to use for making soup, i'd highly recommend them.

I read the lable on these and the fat content was vey high as far as I remember - thus making them very tasty.

I am one of these nuts always reading lables in Tesco.

I suppose they would be a bit fatty and have some salt but in my mind the heap load of fresh veg that you throw into the soup justifies them. And they are ALOT easier than making your own stock!

Stock is so easy to make with left over carcass and bones! But I agree with Welfarite, you don't even need stock - pepper and herbs do great on their own.

I'm generally anti-salt and for that reason very rarely add it to food (even chips) and tend to avoid processed stuff as much as possible.

But don't forget, our bodies actually need at least some salt every day so I wouldn't go overboard in avoiding it. Having said that, a lot of us manage to get (and often exceed) our daily intake via processed foods anyway.

Some things really do need a little salt though IMO e.g. rice, pasta, porridge, some veg.

We almost always make our own soup BTW - Mrs Caveat is a veggie and to make veg. stock we generally use: garlic, thyme, bay leaves, onions, pepper, bit of celery, bit of carrot. Fry gently in olive oil for about half an hour then simmer with water for another hour or so.

Stock? done.

:)

I'd never add salt to a meal of any kind, I do have a friend who adds it to pasta and rice which I find awful. How can salt make this food better? Its always got some type of sauce with it, it never needs salt!

I never shake salt on my food either but it does help with cooking - all these famous chefs can't be wrong but they all use rock salt not the stuff I grew up with. I do remember reading Rachel Allen saying to but the rock salt cos it has less of the bad stuff associated with 'table' salt which was a total no no according to her.

Ciaraelle - no fear of me ever making stock - I buy the low salt kalo ones and add 1/2 or 1 cube to soup. One of the girls was saying thoses cubes were lovley but I put it back when I saw the fat level. I'm on a diet at the minute and every little helps.

I also make my own soup and use a handheld whizzy thing that you just use in the pot. Very easy to wash and fast to use

My mom has one of those and they are great. The food processer is one she gave me cos she uses the hand held all the time. I always need shoes or something so never have the money for stuff like food processers:D

Back