Package damaged by customs - what are my options?

fme

Hi,
I ordered a Bestway pool from ebay UK a couple months ago.
It arrived via regular An Post and I noticed 'opened by customs' tape around it.
I didnt think much of it and put into garage until needed. However on opening a few days ago i found that actually customs it appears had used a utility knife or similar and sliced the package open, slicing through the pool lining in the process, rendering it pretty much useless.
I contacted revenue who have advised to contact Dublin Mail Centre: [email protected] Dublin Parcel Hub: [email protected] or Dublin Airport Mail Centre: [email protected], so i am currently awaiting their reply. I have also contacted seller and provided photos to each.
I'd like to know where the responsibility lies here and the liklihood of any recompense for this (value €400)
Thanks.

Sender should have packed it better.

I send out a lot of items. If I think a blade or scissors will damage the item, we add a double wall piece of cardboard.

Some places use a tape that has an image of a blade crossed out.

But customs can't be responsible as they simply opened the package as they are permitted to do.

Does eBay not have a process for claiming a refund when goods arrive damaged?

It's not really relevant to the recipient how the damage took place.

But customs can't be responsible as they simply opened the package as they are permitted to do.
If customs damaged the contents then of course they are responsible for said damage !! That is just plain reasoning and simple English.

You are correct that they are permitted to open the package but this permission does not infer any inherent waiver/or absolve them from being culpable for any damage they cause to its contents.
peemac:
Sender should have packed it better.
You can pack it however you like, even wrap it in kevlar, but the customs officer still has to get at the contents and still, may well, cause damage. So trying to blame the sender with a blanket statement, as above, doesn't hold much water, especially when you or I don't know how well it may have been packed.

Proving that customs caused the damage is another matter altogether and IMHO would be nigh on impossible.

Last edited:
Hopefully either the senders postal insurance or Customs themselves will pay up but it's highly doubtful after 'a couple of months'. How did you pay? Does your credit card have it's own insurance?
At this late stage I think your best bet are pool patches - similar to a bicycle tyre puncture repair kit but larger. At least you'll get the use of the pool in the meantime.

Back