Owner occupier evicting tenant

wheels

A friend of mine rents out a room in their house and is now in a position to live there without the need to have anyone renting. The current tenant has been there 4 months, they've agreed that four weeks notice must be given but legally does she have the right to ask her to leave? And does she have to give a reason?

If they've agreed 4 weeks notice, surely she should stick to this? Whats four weeks? Or are there other issues? ie. likely to be problems in the 4 weeks? Are there already problems?
I'm guessing here but I'd imagine originally it was the home owner who suggested the 4 weeks. If she expects this from lodgers, then surely it works both ways?

I don't think giving notice is a problem for her, she just wants to make sure she has the right to ask him to leave without a reason such as non-payment of rent etc. She's not trying to pull a fast one or take advantage of him, she's just now in a position to actually live in her home on her own.

If it's an owner occupier then the tenant is only a licensee and doesn't have the same rights a tenant would if the owner didn't live there. Basically a licensee can be asked to leave at any time. No reason required.

She would be best to place this matter politely in writing to avoid any confusion at a later date.

Nevertheless, you will be asked for a reason.
Make up some bulllshiity reason that won't offend the tenant like your brother is moving in or you need room as an office for a new business you are starting.

If you bump into her a few months later, just say that your brother changed his mind or that your new business plan is a bit slow to get started.

Good luck

Nevertheless, you will be asked for a reason.
Make up some bulllshiity reason that won't offend the tenant like your brother is moving in or you need room as an office for a new business you are starting.

If you bump into her a few months later, just say that your brother changed his mind or that your new business plan is a bit slow to get started.

Good luck

Surely the plain truth - "My financial circumstances have improved and I would like to have the house to myself" would not be offensive to any reasonable person, especially if adequate notice is being afforded to them.

Surely the plain truth - "My financial circumstances have improved and I would like to have the house to myself" would not be offensive to any reasonable person, especially if adequate notice is being afforded to them.

Good call MOB.

I think both Mob's and Hillsalt's options are both valid, the owner occupier will have to decide which option should be applied to his particular tenant.

Choice of a little white lie to soften the blow or the truth if one is dealing with a normal reasonable person.

The title of this thread is incorrect as technically it is not a landlord tenant situation and those rules don't apply.

Back