Own a home with my ex, now separated, need of HELP!

PinKymate

My boyfriend and I purchased a home in 2014, he put the down payment / closing costs on such house. We had a agreement (unfortunaly a verbal one) that we would pay 50/50 of all expenses. Mind you, the house deed has both our names on it along with the bank loan. As time went by, I was the only one paying the monthly mortgage and all the utilities, he did not stick to his agreement. Then in 2016 I filed a Domestic Restraining Order on him and was granted one for a 3 year no contact order and he was ordered by the court to evacuate the home. Since he's been out, I've continued to pay for all the house expenses. My issues is, he won't sign a "Quitclaim Deed" unless I pay him a crazy amount of money that exceeds what he put into the house. Do to the fact that I have a no contact order with my ex, I hired a lawyer who advises me to go to court for a Petition of a forced sale or have the court decide on weither the house can be just mine and order my ex to sign the "Quitclaim Deed". Its getting to the point where its getting difficult for me to upkeep the house and I'm ready to just "Walk Away" from it all. Note: My ex won't communicate with my lawyer nor friends who tried to contact him. What are my options ? I can't sell without his permission nor can I refinance to get a lower rate! I'm drowing and need some advice from someone other than my lawyer....

Irish as in your question reads like you are not in Ireland, some of the terms used would not be used here, therefore as most of the posters here are in Ireland any information they can give may not be relevant where you are based and of no use to you if laws are different.

Back