Owed debt and what I should do now

johnpdolan

Hi
In previous years I was self employed and the business failed terribly. It has taken me a number of years to get back on my feet and during this time I have had to deal with health issues and a marriage breakup. I also lost my house to the bank. I am back working full time now but on a very poor salary. I look after my 3 boys financially and I myself live a very poor quality of life now but once my boys are healthy I'm happy. Now the companies that I owe money too from the failed business are looking to be paid. I cannot afford to pay what they are owed although I would like to do as I can continue getting my life back. I am unsure what my options are now. I am trying to fight a court case to get visiting rights to see my boys but this is proving too expensive. I enjoy my work but should I now consider insolvency? Any advise greatly received

It is worth considering your options. Two possibilities come to mind. If your debts are less than €35k then you might me able to get a Debt Relief Notice (DRN). And if your debts are over €35k then you may be able to apply for your own bankruptcy. Both options last a year, and both options stop your creditors from hassling you. As you have lost your house and are on a low income it is unlikely that either option will make any difference to your day to day living, and on the plus side, you will be drawing a "line in the sand" and moving on with your life. Suggest talking to MABS in the first instance as their service is free. Best wishes.

DRN and bankruptcy are not the only options. Get professional advice from the likes of MABS or IMHO, both of whom provide free advice.

Back