Overseas investment options

D

Dimond

Hi all,
I have about 150k in a ics acc making about 2.15% but would like to put it into some long term investment. I would like to buy a property in portugal and let it for some of the season but also have the use of it some of the year. Is Portugal the wrong place, is this a bad investment or should I buy somewhere else.
Thanks in advance for your comments

Dimond

Hi, You can pick good investments in many countries. Portugal is still very high on the list for popular destinations and has good potential for capital appreciation and rental return if you buy in the right area. Quality always sells so if you buy something really nice in a great location close to good ammenities you can't go too far wrong.

Don't believe all the hype about overseas investment - Run the numbers for yourself to decide whether this is a good investment or not. In the meantime, move your money to Northern Rock or Rabobank to get a better interest rate.

would agree with doberden.
Good rental return but you need a villa with private pool.
Appartment stuff riskier.
I think any prospective buyer for investment should look at www.holiday-rentals.com or similar rentals website and check rates and occupancy etc.
Hype from agents is to be ignored in comparison.
Have no experience of Portugal as we are in Spain.

Dimond, three are a number of options to invest in abroad, in Romania and Bulgaria you can pick up places that are attractively priced, especially if you just want to sit on them.

Liking for rental returns is difficult to work with from your investment pot. When you add in commissions, taxes, processing fees etc, something that was once only 45-50,000 goes up usually 10%, leaving nothing for furnishing etc.

We've had an increasing number of folks buying plots and then building on them, it's a handy way to go, depending on where you want to be, and means you have your own personality on the place. It seems that more Irish people don't just want to walk in and buy an apartment or house, but prefer to go a cheaper route by buying a plot and building.

Oh, and rentals are all dependant on you, in Croatia you can get really good returns by focussing on the solid and established eastern market (Czechs, Hungarians, Poles) while increasing your return with western visitors, instead of just focussing on the intransigient UK-Irish market.

..this weekend's Sunday Times (UK version at least) dedicated its property section to overseas property investment if you can lay your hands on it. As far as I can remember the paper was reasonably positive on most of developed Europe and Germany in particular (though southern Spain was cautioned against). They were less than enthusiastic on South Africe, Dubai & Hungary.

Back