Overpayment Direct Debit - Electricity

Dr.Phil

Hi I overpayed the last few months and contacted the company re the credit on my account (over e400). They have said further bills will be reduced by 40euro and in six months I will be down to a zero balance. Have i any rights to insist that my money be refunded?

Why were the bills so high? Were the bills estimated and did you fail to supply an up-to-date reading? I have no idea what your contract says about payment, but in those circumstances, I'd cancel the direct debit (tell them first in writing) and state that you'll reinstate the DD when all your credit is used up. Keep supplying them with accurate readings in the interim. It's not your job to enhance their cash-flow with your money, just to pay what you owe on time,

In Ireland that's what happens to my bills, if I overpay they just put it as a credit, I guess you can ask them to refund it to you. But facing into the winter it would be nice not to have high bills to pay !

Here I have to read the meters once a year, in the summer (not sure if it's the same for everybody). They then calculate 12 monthly payments. If I overpay they refund me, and reduce the monthly amount for the next 12 months. If I underpay they take more and up the monthly amount for the next 12 months.

Back