Overpaying Fixed EBS Mortgage

Discussion in 'Mortgages and buying and selling homes' started by Puddin, 8 Jan 2019.

1. Puddin

Puddin Registered User

Hi All,

I have an EBS 5 year fixed mortgage at 3% and am considering starting to overpay about €500 a month. Although there is no provision for overpaying by 10% like with BOI and UB am i still allowed to overpay on an ad-hoc basis and pay the percentage of fixed-rate breakage fee as a result whilst remaining on fixed rate ?

As an example if i owed €300,000 with a fixed rate breakage fee of €1,000 and overpaid by €3,000 would i simply have to pay 1% of breakage fee and not the full €1,000 ?

Thanks.

2. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

Yes, technically that's how it should work. You should only pat a break fee on the actual amount being overpaid.

I understand their systems / processes are a bit strange when it comes to overpayment.

3. Puddin

Puddin Registered User

Thanks RedOnion,

Am i right to assume they must allow you overpay even on a fixed ?

4. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

Yes, absolutely.

5. HollowKnight

HollowKnight Frequent Poster

It may work out simpler for you to save up your 'ad hoc' money for say six months and pay off a lump sum rather than monthly.

6. Puddin

Puddin Registered User

That's true if you're the disciplined type but i'll throw it in each month cos i'm at risk of buying shiny new things with the savings !

I talked to them and it's straight forward enough. it would take over 4 years off my 17 year mortgage if i kept it up so a no-brainer really.

RedOnion likes this.