Overfilled Oil on Turbo Diesel

kumsheen

Just been for an NCT and they said they can't test the engine due to the oil being overfilled, they also said the turbo and cat converter can be damaged by this.
I'd say the car has done at least 1000 miles overfilled. Do you think i've damaged the engine?

Asumming its a standard car , over filling by a litre or so is not going to do any detrimental damage to the car.The manufacturers allow for this type of thing
Question ....Is the car leaving a patch of oil on your driveway?
how much is over full?

If its well over the max level on the dipstick ...I would guess by saying the nct test center is covering their This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language should anything happen during the emissions test which involves reving the engine to the max.
The NCT will never admit this but the emissions test is very hard on any engine and an overfilled oil sump will only make matters worse.

Drain the oil to the correct level, dont hope that it will lower by itself, if it does miraculously lower its probably because the engine has sprung a leak.... the main crankshaft seals being the first to go (expensive job)

hope this sheds some light for you.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
It was not overfilled by much, only a small bottle (less than 1 LTR) and i only put about two thirds in, i was very surprised it came above the level. (From previous cars i had). The guy i bought it from said the oil should be topped up from time to time, but the level has never dropped since i got it.

There has been no leaks or anything else unusual. The car has a six speed box so the revs are allways down at the low end.

Tks for the advice.

Back