over taxation

• Thread starter dialer_2001
  • Start date
D

dialer_2001

hi, i started work 4 months ago gave my p45 before i started but am still on emergency tax dispite the jobs accountant receiving my p45 4 months ago and a tax credit cert 3months ago. what can i do and what am i entitled to ?

What is the company's explanation for the delay in sorting out your tax affairs? Is [broken link removed] of any use? When you get your P60 for 2005 in early 2006 you should write to Revenue including a copy of this and ask them to rebalance your tax details for 2005 and you should get a refund of any tax overpaid in 2005.

I am having exactly the same problem (I think)! Started a new job in mid Novemeber, have only had one full pay slip since then. My salary increased from 35K to 41K with the new position. Unfortunatly my take home pay is now €300 less per month, I am hoping this is a case of over taxation- is it? My employers say they have recieved and processed my P45. Before I make a fool of my self ringing the taxation people could someone(in the know) please confirm that this does sound wrong!-thanks

Can you post some more detailed figures - e.g. what your pre and post salary increase payslips contained?

I don't have my slips in work with me today, but I do know the take home for both:

Old Job: 2355.81 - this was on a Salary of €35352
New Job: 2079.81 - this is on a Salary of €41000

I will bring in my slips tomorrow to tell you the exact Tax taken from both - I know I paid in the region of €900 this month in tax.

[broken link removed] might also be of use to you in sanity checking the figures.

Dialer_2001, there is a new PAYE system in place so maybe for some reason your details have not been updated correctly. Just ring revenue on 01-6474444 (PAYE Helpdesk) and someone should be able to sort you out.

Yeah - but on a higher gross the net should not have descreased. Even the employee PRSI threshold reached by some workers part way through the tax year and thus increasing their net can't explain this since the limit was not hit from the details above. Also - tax deduction cards and statements of tax credits will most likely be issued soon to reflect the budget changes and I'd say that this is what Revenue will tell you if you call them now.

I've been trying to get the revenue for the last two days they are up to their eyes at the mo-call center has been shut in the afternoon to help t hem clear the back log and this morning I was on hold for nearly 30 mins - had to give up in the end as the boss was looking strangely at me! But as soon as the January madness is finished hopefully they can clear it up for me. Wouldn't mind that much, except I've just bought a new house and I'm watching every penny like a hawk!

If you are having problems with Revenue why not email them. Hassle your new employer to get your P60 asap. This can be done quickly in some cases. Complete the form 12 (i think) attach the P60 and forward to revenue. They will sort it out.

If you post details such as your Std cut off point and tax credits and the PRSI rate band you are on (should be on your payslip) I'm sure someone on AAM will calculate it for you.

Hi I brought in my pay slips today, so I should have nearly all of information that you guys need to see if there is a problem on the rev's side:
24500 is my s/r cut off according to my old payslips...it says my cumulative tax credits is 2625.

My new slip says tax credit to date: 2450.24 and cut off pay to date is 1050

on both slips it says I am in PRSI A1 Class

Any help greatly appreciated!

I would be better if you could advise your cut off point and tax credits from your "Certificate of Tax Credits" normally issued by revenue in jan /feb or when changing jobs.

Looking at the info as presented.
1. Did your circummstances change? Why did revenue change your S/r cut off point from 2450 pm to 1050? (Is this for two months?)
Why were your tax credits changed from 3150 p a to 2450 p a?

2. Have a look at your copy of the P45 from your prev employer. Is it in agreement with your final pay slip.

3. Have a look at your most recent Cert of Tax Credits. If this is in line with your previous cert then the problem is most likely with the new payroll section - info may have been transfered incorrectly.
If it is not in line you need to contact Revenue (email is probably the best option at present) asking why they changed your details.

4. If the error is one of your new employer then this should be rectified by your new employer now. If they won't fix it you will have to complete form 12 and return details P60 to revenue and wait approx 6 weeks. Insist on getting p60 now. Legally you have to get it by mid feb.

You should get this sorted out asap as this months salary details will use last years Cert of Tax Credits until new one is issued probably early next month when it will be corrected for salary paid in 2006 only.

Check that your Cert of Tax credits for 2006 is correct.

I know this is a bit long winded. You are unfortunate that you changed jobs so close to the endof the tax year.

Thanks for your advice- I managed to get the tax people this morning and they confirmed that I was on emergency tax still!!!They are going to sort it out and send me the relevant forms - thanks again for your help, I can stop the panic now!

Back