Over pampered Londoner on Show Me The Money

M

Mike

I think this has to go down as one that Eddy lost.
How did she manage to buy that sports car at the end?

Ealing Girl

Kinda got the feeling that Eddy and Ealing Girl were on two very different wavelengths.

Could Eddy possibly understand the need for a girl to have weekly manicures(15 E) and visits to the tanning salon(20 per week)?

And wasn`t there some investment potential(attract a rich mate) and escapism (she is a probation officer) in that spending that she hadn`t fully admitted to?

Her debts were @ 7,000. Spending on net sal of 26,000 was 36,000. I couldn`t figure out how she trumped up the extra 10,000.

But she looked terrific.Twenty something is a time to be light hearted, enjoy the craic, look great and enjoy the money-possibly more so if you`re female. Though Andrew the chef might disagree!

Alias Smith&Jones

Re: Ealing Girl

Well at least she was refreshingly honest about it in the end. I thought the supposed 'savings' made by some of the other participants were just a little too convenient.

Had to laugh at her cutting up the credit card lengthways so she could still see the number. Of course she could still have ordered clothes with it on the Net if she wanted (though most of them would have had to be delivered to her parents home in London as most UK based online stores won't ship here). I dread to think what she may be spending on anti-wrinkle treatments in years to come if she keeps up her current rate of tanning booth visits-though she did say she had cut back during the programme.

I was a bit surprised that she was renting a bedsit for €440-rents must have levelled off a lot since I was in Dublin.

Twentysomethings

Well if IFSRA or the Pensions Board was watching they saw real life. You're wasting your time trying to get young single people to do take any type of financial planning and responsibility seriously. Nicola will learn, as she gets older, maybe becomes a Mum and has to look at a wider agenda - other than her own. If getting that across was the objective of the show it worked.

Eddie hadn't a hope of converting Nicola, or any other Twentysomething still in that mindset, but I enjoyed her. I thought the clash between her view of the world and Eddie's older view was good TV, especially the comical look on his face when she described her clothes shop - priceless!

She made me want to go out a buy some more expensive foundation, lipstick, and those shoes!!!

Re: Twentysomethings

I keep missing this programme. I always decide to watch Jeremy Clarksons 'Inventions that changed the world' on bbc2.
Its good that I can tune in here and get the programme details.
I did flick over for 1 minute and saw her cutting the card horizontally to hold on to the number. I was surprised Eddy didn't pick up on this.

Re: Twentysomethings

She made me want to go out a buy some more expensive foundation, lipstick, and those shoes!!!

She made me want to shop too!!!

I think the show was a very true reflection of most female twentysomethings! Up until a few months ago (when I decided to buy a house) I would have see nothing wrong with the way she spends - it's normal!!!

Really enjoyed the show last night.

SMTM

I thought it was a real girlie show, great. Eddy keeps getting better, quite comical really. I thought the two sparked off each other very well - and I'm definitely revamping my cosmetics.

Re: SMTM

With regard to cutting up the card horizontally - I think you will find that the monthly statements also have the account number.

z

Re: SMTM

Or else you have it memorised from using it on the internet so much :)

Thank God for Strawberrynet!!

Show me the money

I know this girl, my mates girlfriend. Last time I spoke to her she wanted babies and a big house in the country. Cant believe its the same person!

Just goes to show

Just goes to show what you know about women! Of course she'd like that, but she's determined to have a good time before she settles down. Go girl, go.

re: jsut goes to show

loved the show too and it also made me want to go out on a mad shopping spree getting more shoes and cosmetics! I was exactly like this until we bought our first house and had a baby (still lapse a bit!).
What twentysomething girl is going to sacrifice all that pampering for a future house purchase she can't imagine wanting at the moment. I think girls like this settle down to a more sensible spending routine once the demainds on their life warrant it - mariiage,house,babies etc...until then "BUY MORE SHOES". (I "LOVED" those red ones with the laces and want a pair!!!!!)

Just goes to show

True, Ruby, and have been accused of this "not knowing women" thing before! However, you cannot have it both ways. Decide now if its the mortgage or the 40 shoes, clubs...
For me I had to plan 1-2 years ahead to buy a house, so I could save a deposit. Meant severe cutbacks for a long while.

amazed

What is a manicure?

As a 29-year old male, I use two pairs of shoes. I spend approx €300 per year on clothes.

Is there something wrong with me?

Re: Account number != Card Number

Zag, all the credit card statements I've seen have a customer account number that isn't the same as the card number. Card numbers change when the cards are renewed but the account number doesn't change. Simple Anti-fraud measure.

You probably did know that. Apologies for being pedantic.

the numbers don't add up

The numbers just didn't add up for me.

She had €7000 in debt, but €5000 of this was a student loan which presumably is over three years old. That means she has managed to run up €2000 in debts in three years in Ireland.

But if she is overspending by €10,000 a year, why is she not in much bigger debt?

It was good entertainment and Eddie is very entertaining. He is very adaptable to the different classes and creeds who appear on his programme.

Brendan

Brendan's Figures

Hi Brendan, what I picked up was based on HER estimates she was overspending by 10,000. My guess is that she overestimated, and maybe added a bit too much to give herself space to be seen to cut back - but Eddie wasn't fooled I thought.

Back