Over 70s medical card.

JustOli

I hope to apply for an over 70s medical card in the next few weeks. I have read over the form and see that I need to show weekly income which is about half the limit.
We have savings of about twice the max . I understand I will have to provide a cert of interest paid from my bank. That figure is zero e.
My question is as I'll be providing the cert do I also have to say what my actual savings are on the form. I know I'm way below the weekly limit.
Thanks.

My question is as I'll be providing the cert do I also have to say what my actual savings are on the form. I know I'm way below the weekly limit.
Thanks.

Yes you do (as Part 3 C on page 5 of the Application Form makes clear).

According to the Citizens information website it states...

"The GP visit card is available to everyone aged over 70 without an income test."

My good wife has just turned 70 years and she collected a form from the social services to apply for her GP Visit card.

On the form it is asking her for her income details. It is also asking about my own income details. (I am over 70 and have a GP card).

Why is it asking for her income details if this information is not required.

Should she leave these sections blank?

The request for income details may be to check that your wife isn't entitled to a medical card.

On the form it is asking her for her income details
Sounds like she received the wrong form. Does it say "over 70" on top of the first page?

You can download the firm here:

Sounds like she received the wrong form. Does it say "over 70" on top of the first page?

You can download the firm here:

That's the form for the free GP Card for anyone over 70 - it is not, repeat NOT the one for the over 70's Medical Card! :mad:

This is:-

Last edited:
Thanks RedOnion. When I applied for my own over 70's GP Visit card I don't think that there was a separate form for it. I think there was the one form only GP Visit Card/Medical Card.

It appears she was given an old combined form. Just checking through the income limits on the form that she was given and it is referring to a combined gross income of €900 per week....I think that this is now €1050 for a full medical card.

So, she can just print and send off the sole GP Visit Form without any income details on it.

Two years ago when I turned 70 I applied for and got a GP Visit card. I did not apply for the full medical card.

My income circumstances have now changed and I believe that I now qualify for a full medical card. (In fact I think I always did). Clubman may be correct in suggesting that people apply for both.

Anyhow, do I just submit a new application now, even though I have an existing GP Card.

Two years ago when I turned 70 I applied for and got a GP Visit card. I did not apply for the full medical card.

My income circumstances have now changed and I believe that I now qualify for a full medical card. (In fact I think I always did). Clubman may be correct in suggesting that people apply for both.

Anyhow, do I just submit a new application now, even though I have an existing GP Card.

Yes.

Calm down, I was replying directly to a poster who asked about the GP card.

The title of this thread is "Over 70s medical card" - I considered it important to warn people that the link that you (helpfully) posted was not to the application form for the over 70s medical card!

Back