Outlook backup

M

Michael

Is there a simple way to completely backup all items from your Microsoft Outlook to disc, in case of a crash of some sort, and which would allow you to simply migrate them back afterwards?

very

its all in one file called outlook.pst which is normally hidden. It can be backed onto a cd no worries but must be copied back onto a hard disk before you can open it again . outlook express has 2 files per folder .

File

Thank you. I done a search but it did not come up with anything. Any thoughts?

ok

windows XP ,

right click on start button and left click on explore

tools menu , folder options , view

untick hide protected files and show hidden files

it will be in the profile of the name you log into windws under and inside local settings / application data / microsoft / outlook

Still lost

Got there. There are six files, max 241kb and no .pst. Any tips?

Still lost

Are you sure that you mean Outlook and not Outlook Express? If you do mean Outlook then it may be that all of your email/folders are stored on the Exchange Server so it's more a question of backing up the server!

Just on the subject, how would you go about backing up Outlook Express on to CD? I use Windows 98SE. Step-by-step instructions, if possible please.

Thanks,

gg

I tried Google and found these (and lots of other) links in case they're of any use:

Outlook Express:

[broken link removed]

Outlook:

www.sitedeveloper.ws/tuto...utlook.htm

With judicious use of Google search terms I'm pretty sure that it's possible find even more assistance with this.

outlook express

For w98se .Do a Search or Find using " *.dbx " & copy the folders that you want to back up. Also back up your address book & your mail settings which can be done from within OE using export.You do need a DBX reader if you use this method to read the files and this can be found & downloaded from the internet. I hope this helps.

Outlook

Thanks to all. Yes, it is MS Outlook on XP.
Regards the exchange server, I have a few. I would just like to have a simple backup done, so that I have saved all that I could normally view offline.

I have built up so much, that losing them would be annoying, and saving one by one is labour heavy and awkward as many have the same name ie. ".....do you want to overwrite,,,"

Outlook

> Thanks to all. Yes, it is MS Outlook on XP.
> Regards the exchange server, I have a few.

If you are using Outlook with the Internet Mail client the mail will be local on the desktop PC. If you are using Outlook with the Exchange client the mail will be stored on the Exchange Server. This will determine what sort of backup(s) - server and/or client - you need to do. I'm sure that the Microsoft or third party websites have tutorials on this stuff:

msdn.microsoft.com/

Offline mail storage from Exchange Server

Dude !

This is a .ost file and not a .pst file. I think it is in the same spot as the .pst

?

Followed the tutorial. I have only six files, non corresponding to the ones mentioned, and all very small.........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Re: ?

Michael,

there are 2 issues here
1: If you are using Exchange as your mail server then that
exchange mail box should be backed update every night to disk and that backup file archived off the tape/cd etc.
Your system administrator should this
2: If you are using outlook (irrespective of any mail server)
then you can do a backup of your mail (any or all folders)
to a local file on your pc.
Open Outlook
Go to File->Import and Export
Select Export to a file
Select Personal Folder File(.pst)
Select the folders you want to back
Select the destination and away you go

The copying the data files option as other ppl have suggested is not a good idea
I hope this was of some use
E

3 choices

Perfect. Thank You!

However, I am left with three choices at the end of the process before clicking finish.

I don't fully understand the terminology and don't want to lose any exisying mail.

Any tips?

Re: 3 choices

Check out www.elive.net/

They offer back-up services for all that kind of stuff!

Not too expensive and it constantly saves the data you want to save externally.

There is some info on their site...

Be careful though guys downloading some of that stuff you mentioned, you could end of infecting your folders...heard a few nasty stories lately!!!

Back