Outdoor paint to cover plastic?

Green

I have some metal electric gates that have a thin plastic covering which I need to repaint now. Most paint is either for wood, metal or brick and I was wondering what would be the most suitable for this task! Thanks

The first thing I would do is talk to the experts. In the past I've found either ringing the paint companies, e.g. Dulux
or calling into a paint shop (Not a hardware/b&Q style shop) and asking them. e.g. in Pat McDonnells paints in Cork/Dublin (as an example). These people do paint all day long.

If at all possible, bring a picture of the gate with you.

The problem is there are numerous coatings that are "plastic" and different paints stick to different ones. Some require an undercoat, or Tie coat, some require etching or sanding. Some, e.g. vinyl guttering, are very difficult to get anything to stick to.

And whatever they recommend, ask if it is possible to get a sample pack of the suggested paint. Try it on a small area as per the instructions. (undercoat/sanding/wait times/overcoat times etc.) Once it is set, use a craft knife to make cross cuts on the painted piece. (you only need to do 2~3 inchs square. Stick a bit of duct tape on it and see if the paint comes off when you pull off the tape. If it comes off, the paint won't stick, if it doesn't, then you're good to go.

I once did this test on a boat, and believe, me, I was happy I hadn't gone and painted the whole boat as the top coat was incompatible with the undercoat and would have peeled off in weeks.

Use BIN 123 exterior undercoat. It sticks to everything. Then just put regular Satinwood exterior paint (in the colour of your choice) over it.
I've used it for the side of my Steeltech shed, aluminum roof on my porch, and some guttering.

(You can use it indoors too but they do another one that works even better for indoors).

I'll second this product. It will make anything paintable. I used it to renew glossy wardrobe doors recently.

Be warned though that it is a roller/brush wrecker. Unless you bother with their own custom cleaning product, prepare to chuck out whatever you use it with.

The zinser primer is available in a water based format as well; there are those who will say the oil based is better.

You pays your money, you takes your pick.

I'll second this product. It will make anything paintable. I used it to renew glossy wardrobe doors recently.

Be warned though that it is a roller/brush wrecker. Unless you bother with their own custom cleaning product, prepare to chuck out whatever you use it with.
I think I used some methylated spirits to clean up the brushes afterwards - from memory they seemed to come out ok.

Back