Out of control vegetable patch - How to kill everything

NewEdition

I have a vegetable patch that has not been used for a couple of years. It has become overgrown with weeds and grass, some up to 4ft high.

I will get out at the weekend and pull up what I can, but it will be a tough job getting it back to just the soil again.

Is there something I can put on it that will just kill the lot?
I don't mind if I cannot use the patch for a year or so if it will need time for the treatment to completely wash away, but I would like to use the patch again though for vegetables, so would be wary of anything too toxic.

Roundup will kill everything it's sprayed on except ivy or Gallup, which is cheaper but does the same job though takes a bit longer imo.

Hi - roundup is very effective in clearing things out, but it will stay in the soil for a period of time, how long exactly, can't say as it depends on the soil type, concentration level used etc.

How big is the area? What you could do is ground cover the patch area - something like http://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-plastic-over-vegetable-garden-kill-weeds-seeds-24078.html
I've used this, but in a small area and found effective...

As your area has tall weeds / grass, then either take a garden shears / strimmer to it first & remove the debris, then try the ground covering.

Its about 10m x 3m, so fairly large. The plastic route seems quite a lot of work. I will cut away what I can and try the big bang approach and spray round up.

Just concerned about the safety aspect of using this stuff.

it's a large area alright :) there is work with the plastic solution, but chemical free, thats the trade off I guess...

If you are going spraying, then keep the concentration level of the "roundup" (or alternative) low... it'll take a few weeks for these to die off... Once they do die off, then it'll be regular maintenance to keep it under control in relation to the weeds, little and often :) Good luck with the veg garden...

Round up neutralizes very quickly on soil contact. Do not be worried about its residual effects since it does not stay active.
If you have briars/nettles you may need one of the proprietary brushwood killers.
Again follow instructions and you will soon have a (good to go plot)

There is loads of info online to show that Roundup is not 'safe'. Make up your own mind on that.

Other options are ti cover the area with remnant carpet for a period.
Cardboard can work well, keep it wet or cover it with bark/wet and then the bark can go into the soil. These are probably longer term methods.

If you just dig the area up once and keep on top of it like humans had to do for thousands of years it would keep you fit and you wouldn't be using chemicals :)

Sew green manure and let it grow on your veg patch then when it has flowerd dig it into the veg patch with a good amount of seaweed.Leave the patch to settle for around 5-6 weeks.

Your reward will be fantastic fruit and veg from your veg patch

Never heard of green manure and just googled it to see what it is.

What plants would you recommend to use and are they readily available in garden centres?

I've recently heard about green manure too (via GIY.com) - as with delgirl, has anyone done this and have any tips from their experience?

I've recently heard about green manure too (via GIY.com) - as with delgirl, has anyone done this and have any tips from their experience?
We rotate our veg patches each year just like a farmer does with his land.

We sew green manuer,and then we let it flower.After its flowered we dig it back into the soil,mix in a little seaweed and leave for 5-6 weeks.
Then we plant all sorts of fruit and veg.But we rotate the veg beds and plots each year to keep the soil as healthy as possible.

Thanks flowerman, sounds like the ideal way to do it as it avoids having to keep weeds down over the winter with the added benefit of enriching the soil! Going to try some buckwheat over the coming weeks so.

Back